Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Wheel Size Question (AGAIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: Wheel Size Question (AGAIN)

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

I have 16X8 steel wheels with 60 profile tires, everything clears nicely although the right rear is very close to the wheel well (most GT Hawk rear axles are offset slightly to the right). The lower profile stiffer sidewall tires gives it more of a bias tire simulation. I don't remember the brand, I bought them seven years ago. Sorry, I can't post a picture but if you're interested I'll send you one via email and maybe try to get more info. I also have a set of rally style chrome wheels I took off the car, they fit very nicely and have the dual bolt pattern so they fit just about anything.

Comment

Why limit your search to 15"? X2 with 63 R2 Hawk on going with the 16" wheels. I've run several Studes with 16"x 8", but it requires the proper offset. Not every car is the same. I've also found the rear axle not always centered in the frame.

The Ford 16" wheels in both steel and aluminum are actually easier to find these days than the 15". There are several which will fit just fine and I've run up to 245/50-16" with no problem.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Dan:

I don't know how much help it would be to you, but if you look at Frank Ambrogio's web site for the 56J, there's a wealth of information on tires and rims in the 56J Only Newsletter issues 26, 47, 48, 49 and 55.

I've got 215R-15 wide whitewall radials on my 56J mounted on Chrysler 15" x 6-1/2" rims and they fit well. There are many MoPar years and cars with that size rim.

Bill L.

My bad! Wrong information! My rims are Int. 854B 15" x 5-1/2" off a Dodge van.
        Last edited by 56GH; 04-17-2012, 08:44 AM. Reason: Correction
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Jack in checking around it appears that 16” wheels have fallen out of favor as far as Al goes. It seems like you can find 15” and then 17” on up fairly easily but 16” is less listed or the selection is much slimmer (http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/street_rod_wheels.asp). I used to have 16” on a Subaru I once owned and replaced them with 17” but I am somewhat surprised at the lack of 16” wheels. This may be just where the market for high performance has gone?
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Hi, Dan,

I've never had any trouble finding 16" wheels, OEM or aftermarket. Thought you were looking for a salvage yard wheel. There should be plenty of the 16" Fords there

FWIW, I don't like most of the low-end aftermarket aluminum wheels. Most are made in China and bend easily. I had Halibrand make a set of custom 16" for my Hawk project and they seem to be excellent quality. While I was working on it, I used Ford Crown Vic cop car 16" steel wheels to roll it around. I tried a set of Lincoln aluminum wheels. They fit, but it wasn't the look I wanted.

One of our members here Tom/sbca96, has used 17" Mustang wheels on his Avanti with success.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
            X