Pulling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Pulling

I am not very experienced with a straight axle front end so I want to ask, if my C-cab is pulling a bit to the right what might be the cause of that?

It does not really pull under braking, just while driving down the road you need to keep a bit of left pressure to go straight.
    On a control arm suspension I would look at castor/camber and at ball joints, but on a king pin straight axle I am not sure where to start.

I have jacked it up and pushed and pulled on the wheel and the slop is there, but not too excessive based on what I know from Bugs and stuff.

To; kmac530,----- Look see how the front tires are wearing (toe in)

Comment

Brand new tires, propper air pressure, and no way to look at old tires since they were rotted all the way out.

In my experience with non solid axle vehicles, toe in usually wanders more than pulls, but I will string it and see. Thanks for the help.

Just to add, the new tires are repop BFG Bias plys 5.90-15

Comment

Check the security of the rear spring shackle U-bolt nuts. My Lark occasionally will pull under acceleration or de-celeration (sp?) and I find that by re-torquing the nuts, problem solved. This is with a 6 cylinder engine (or motor if you prefer) so it is not a high horsepower problem. Apparently the rear end will "walk" along the spring.

Comment

Something to try would be to swap the wheel tire combo from one side to the other on the front. If it then pulls to the opposite side you might have a belt problem in a tire. Even new tires are prone to defects.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Doug, Good idea, I will check that today. My diff u-bolts already came loose first day on the road, I think the springs and everything settled a bit and once loose it was down hill from there. I caught it early so harm no foul, but maybe it is out of alignment with the left side.

Frank, also a good idea. I am not sure how the QC on these vintage tire repops are so I try that also.

Great directions to start.
            Could it be king pins that cause a pull?
            I am also sitting with a bit of rake down at the front which would change my castor a few degrees, could that be it? Is the fix for caster on a solid axle to add a wedge shaped shim between the axle and the springs at the same degree as the rake of a hot rod? Does someone sell those shims made up already or is that something I would have to fab up?
            I have a degree finder, the magnectic base with a round tube with degrees on it and a ball in it that rolls to the bottom and tells you how many degrees you are from horizontal. {I am sure you folks know what one is, so dumb explanation}

Comment

Straight axle shims should be available over the counter at places like NAPA in several different degrees. Yes, a rake in the front will decrease your amount of positive caster. Usually that would make the vehicle more twitchy, meaning having a tendency to dart around. A frozen king pin could make it pull. A caster problem will make it pull if you have excessive caster differential due to a possible bent axle. To increase positive caster slide the shim in with the larger part to the rear, tilting the axle back. This will also have a tendency to make your vehicle steer harder and reduce the return of the steering to center after a turn.

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
              Doug, Good idea, I will check that today. My diff u-bolts already came loose first day on the road, I think the springs and everything settled a bit and once loose it was down hill from there. I caught it early so harm no foul, but maybe it is out of alignment with the left side.

Frank, also a good idea. I am not sure how the QC on these vintage tire repops are so I try that also.

Great directions to start.
              Could it be king pins that cause a pull?
              I am also sitting with a bit of rake down at the front which would change my castor a few degrees, could that be it? Is the fix for caster on a solid axle to add a wedge shaped shim between the axle and the springs at the same degree as the rake of a hot rod? Does someone sell those shims made up already or is that something I would have to fab up?
              I have a degree finder, the magnectic base with a round tube with degrees on it and a ball in it that rolls to the bottom and tells you how many degrees you are from horizontal. {I am sure you folks know what one is, so dumb explanation}
              Last edited by 41 Frank; 04-12-2012, 07:41 AM.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

crowned road?
                1947 M5 under restoration
                a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
                  crowned road?
                  All of them, everywhere I drive?
                  LOL, seriously though maybe I will find a clear section and drive on the wrong side and see if it pulls left now....that is safe, right?
                  I have time tomorrow, I will with some of these ideas. Today got crazy for me and next thing I knew it was night and I had not touched a wrench on Oscar....yet he got me to my congregation and back no problem...30 miles round trip and I even jumped on the freeway again because of some road work on the streets...screaming, but no problem.

Tomorow He gets a temp gauge and a fuel gauge to go with my new 12V sender that came with my new universal tank from a mustang. And maybe a tach...just to be sure. All that is left gauge wise is a volt/amp meter. and the dash is back together functioning....creatively, but functioning.

Comment

Working...
                  X