Rebuilt 289 Back In And The GT Is On The Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Rebuilt 289 Back In And The GT Is On The Road

After 14 hours yesterday which ended at midnight, and another six hours today which began at 6AM, the engine is finally hooked up running. Just returned from the first 60 miles. Runs smooth as silk, temp is 160-170, and oil pressure is 48 PSI at 2000 RPM (10W30). I am tickled pink with that over-sized radiator, as well as the Vintage Air AC compressor mount kit.

Joe, doesn't it feel great when you hear the engine for the first time after a re-build and all the guages have the right readings!! Makes all the hard work worthwhile--
    Pictures?
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

To: JoeHall,------- You'll sleep well tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        To: JoeHall,------- You'll sleep well tonight!
        Yes I will. Actually just took a nap. I use to do "marathons" like that with no sweat. Now days, it will take me till about Tuesday to regroup. Guess I have to go back to work tomorrow to get some rest!
        I always under estimate jobs like that. I figured 10 hours; turned out to be 20. Of course nothing goes perfect, usually a snag here & there. But I got-er-done.

Would like to post pix, but the "Insert Image" does not work the way the set up instructions say. It only offers me one selection instead of two. Only offers URL posting. Maybe I'll figure it out someday.

Comment

Joe, what radiator did you use? Where did you get it from?

Comment

Congrats, Joe!
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
              Joe, what radiator did you use? Where did you get it from?
              I had a radiator shop in Louisville, about 35 north of here, re-core my old 3-core. If you do search, you will find the specs I listed, but basically, they just about doubled the capacity. It cost $640, but well worth it, to me.
              I would recommend finding a local radiator shop. Preferably one that is ran by older guys, has been in business a long time, and looks like the EPA could shut it down any minute. That's what I found in Louisville. If you cannot find anyone in Texas, I can look up these guy's card, but there's likely plenty of them in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                Congrats, Joe!
                Thanks Dick,
                I like to alternate between the GT and the 56J for driving, and its good to get the GT back on the road

Comment

Thank You.

Comment

Working...
                  X