55 C-body wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: 55 C-body wheels

Want to keep my hubcaps }on my 5 or 5.5 inch wide wheels} but have been told it would be better to get wider wheels since I run radial tires. Can my old ones be made wider and be able to accomodate front disc brskes? I suppose Turner is the way to go for simplicity...?

I used 6"x 15" wide 1993-2010 ford ranger/explorer steel wheels on my 55 President 4 Door Sedan. The wheels have 8 oval slanted holes on the center.
    215/75/15 radials.
    The hubcaps fit like stock. I use a thin layer of marine GOOP or a layer of 90 MPH tape on the wheel to stop the hubcap from drifting and damaging the valve stem.
    That's a common problem with even stock wheels.
    Only tire rub I've had is in a tight turn pulling off or on the road from a weird slope. Suspension tweeked almost to the limit. In otherwords practically never.

USE THE FORD LUGNUTS, THE ANGLE ON THE WHEEL IS DIFFERENT THAN THE STUDE WHEEL.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I've been running P215-75R-15 tires on my 51-56 rims for years with no problems.

Those tires are the same diameter as the 710-15 bias ply tires that came on those V-8 cars.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

There are at least fifty previous threads about using later/wider Ford/Mopar wheels on your Stude and about why the stock wheels are too weak to bother modifying. Try some searches.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Went to the U-Pick-It yard today to find some Ranger Wheels for my CK.
          Don't this just suck.

Bill
          http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
          sigpic

Comment

I have 1970 Ford Galaxie disk brake wheels. Fit perfect, look right and hold the full wheel covers just fine. Use the Ford lugnuts. They are 15 X 6.

Comment

Working...
            X