Brake pedal adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake pedal adjustment

I have a 64 champ pickup that has the hanging clutch and brake pedal. I have to much play in my brake pedal. According to the manual it should be 1/4 of an inch. I can not figure out were the adjustment is looking at the picture in my shop manual. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

clyde

a couple of assumptions.....1) the mechanism hasn't been compromised by a weakend cowl. and 2) the system is the same as the later Larks. There is a small rubber stop that can be adjusted by loosening the lock nut and turning the stop screw until the desired free travel (1/4 inch) is obtained....

Comment

I "think" there is also an adjustment between the linkage and the M/C. You will need to take the M/C off the cowl and look. No need to loosen any brake lines. It is either there, or under the dash. Either way it 's a PITA to do.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

First step is to be sure the master cylinder itself and the balalnce of the brake system are OK.

If it is bad internally, you could be mistaking too much pedal travel to engage the piston because the piston isn't fully retracting or the balance of the brake system needs attention and too much internal piston travel is required to hydraulically engage the brakes. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The rod that pivots on the pin at the pedal is captured in the aluminum piston on the master cylinder. I have seen both adjustable and non-adjustable rods in replacement master cylinders.

Comment

Thanks fo all the help. I have replaced the MC,brake lines, brake shoes, WC and hoses. After bleeding it looks like 1/2 soild pedal. The brake pedal is traveling about 1/2 or a little more. The rod that goes into the MC is not ajustable. It is the original rod.

Clyde

Comment

You replaced the master cylinder - I trust with a correct one. 8E ('63 - '64) Champ Pickups used a readily available master cylinder - 1/2 ton Champs same as '61 - '66 Ford 1/2 ton, and 3/4 ton same as '61 - '66 Ford 3/4 ton - but given your problem I would want to confirm that the pushrod depth of the new master cylinder piston was the same as the one you removed.

Comment

Good idea, I will check the depth, i still have the old one.

Thanks,

Clyde

Comment

IF you need to make it "adjustable", cut the end of the rod straight, center punch & frill for a 10/32 button head allen screw. Drill & tap the rod at LEAST 1" and use a 3/4' long 10/32 button head allen. Your linkage is now adjustable! Once you find the "sweet spot" put a drop of loctite on the threads and you're done. I did this on a 62 Daytona, using a 68 Mustang dual M/C. Worked out great, got a good high firm pedal.

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

I don't know if they used the same pedal pivot screw as the Avanti or not, but the bolt that the rod attaches to the pedal is eccentric. Loosen the 1/2 " nut, and turn the 3/4" hex head to adjust pedal height.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I checked the depth and they are the same. I have bleed all the wheels several times and only have a 1/4 pedal. When I measured the plunger hole on the master cylinder I noticed it was v ery hard to push in, is that normal? I have the old one without fluid in it and it pushes in very easy.

Thanks,

Clyde

Comment

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installation? If not its nearly impossible to properly bleed the brakes.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hi Warren,

I did not. Do you know if there are instructions avaiable on how to do it?

Thanks,

Clyde

Comment

if you buy the universal bleed kit from NAPA they have all the fittings and hoses neccessary to do it yourself ..simple..

Comment

You can bench bleed it without removing by using a piece of 3/16 brake line to the discharge port on the master and bending it to go into the resivoir. ( I've had difficulty keeping plastic fittings and plastic lines in place while pumping the brake pedal) Then pump brake pedal a few strokes until all air is flushed from M/C. Reconnect line to the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X