Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Maby a stupid question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Maby a stupid question...

Howdy, 1:st time here!
    & I wonder if it's possible to write about non-Studebaker-engineered Studebaker's here?
    The thing is that I've got a -55 Champion 4d sedan with engine, gearbox & rear axle in BAAAD condition... So I bought a -77 Plymouth Volare & took it all from.
    Now, the thing is: I wonder if anyone has any pictures of a Mopar smallblock in a Studebaker Sedan 53-58? & please, ONLY sedans & only these years!
    I know Studebaker made mighty nice engines so please don't tell me that I ought to have one of those instead; I live in Sweden and Holland & the prices on engine, gearbox & rear axle (in good condition!) are not the same as the same stuff from a more common brand.
    And I've owned "quite a few" GM's (mostly Chevy's but also Buick & Cadillac) & Mopar's & 5 U.S. Fords... & I really realy trust Mopar.
    Or as I say sometimes when people say that GM is best: Where would Richard Petty & Don Garlits have been if they haven't driven Mopar?
    Now than, back to my request: Pictures of s.b. Mopar V8's in 53-58 Studebaker sedan's?
    Nox.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think you'll catch any grief on this form for your car being non-stock. Custom and modified Studes are welcome in our club. Hope you enjoy your '55!
    ~Matt Connor
    '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Thanx, that's nice!
      I've been checking threads here for some time now but only seen original Studebaker-stuff & I used to be on the website RacingStudebakers before but something happened to either my computer or that site so I've been out in the darkness for a while...
      & the car's gonna be a daily driver, nothing fancy but mighty cooler than any BaderMeinhofWagen or Japcrap.
      By the way, photo-bucket don't work for me, if anyone would happen to feel like showing me what I wanna see...
      Nox.

Comment

No grief here on a non Stude powered Stude, Especially with parts concerns in a foreign country, foreign as in not the native country of Studebaker. Mopar is a fine choice for a transplant. But I must ask, where would Dale Earnhardt Sr, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Warren Johnson.....be without GM?

All have value.

Welcome to the site. I hope you find a way to post pics.
        Kelly

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Nox. We can talk Mopar here and the posts only need to go in the "Stove Huggers" column if they are not Studebaker related, so you should be OK.
          Your engine swap questions would be better in the Tech. Forum however.

The talk here about Mopar Engine swaps has mostly been that one of the reasons they are very rarely ever done is the LENGTH. Most people say that they are considerably longer than Stude. or Chev. Engines. Also that the Oil Pans are a problem with stock steering.

Some of these issues could be solved if you are willing to cut up the frame and do a Volare front clip and 318 engine swap.
          Then the length issue could be delt with somehow by moving the radiator. My family and I have '57 Sedans & Wagons and those have a huge amount of space between the grille and the engine fan and could work much better than the lower hood '55 Sedans.

I ordered a 1976 Plymouth Volare Premere Wagon New, with 318 engine, 3 speed Torqueflight and special ordered Sure Grip 3.23 ratio axle instead of the too High 2.87.
          If they had had any quality assembly line workers the car could have been a great car, but because of poor quality body assembly and assy. processes I could not deal with any longer, I sold it in less than a year after fighting to get the obvious ones all fixed. Chrysler Corp. always had the best Engines and more advanced Electrical systems.

Good luck with your engine swap. -Rich.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Saw a Hemi in a few studes. One was at South Bend in 2009. I'll sort through my old pics. Welcome to the forum.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Well, this seems quite promising, thanx so far!
              The oil-pan is already changed to one from a pick-up truck, & I've got a van that I've stopped using that has the same pan.
              The length doesn't seem to be much of a problem either since the V8 is at least shorter than the original in-line six.
              & I know that there's room enough for a Hemi, but what I'm interested in to look at is the clearance by the steering-box & the head-room.
              I've bought "shorty" headers but if there's some pictures to look at it might give me some ideas before I start about how much (as little as possible of course) I would have to change.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                No grief here on a non Stude powered Stude, Especially with parts concerns in a foreign country, foreign as in not the native country of Studebaker. Mopar is a fine choice for a transplant. But I must ask, where would Dale Earnhardt Sr, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Warren Johnson.....be without GM?

All have value.

Welcome to the site. I hope you find a way to post pics.
                Kelly
                ...& Yes I know that GM made good cars, I've had loads, but they aint no Mopars!

Comment

Working...
                X