No announcement yet.

Use what I've got? : 66 FOM & 62 259???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Use what I've got? : 66 FOM & 62 259???

Unless something unexpected happens in the next few days, I will be bringing home a 62 vintage 259 to carry me through until I can afford a complete rebuild on it or another 259.

I need to figure out if I can use any of the available automatics that I have in the garage or the barn...

I have a couple of FOMs but not sure if any of them would work with a 259. I have a couple of FOMs from sixes which I believe the 259 would trash. I have a FOM out of a 66 w/283 and cable kickdown... can you use these with a Studebaker engine?

Trying to use what I've got, if I can.

There's no rush because i have plenty of holes to patch on the left side between the cowl and the trunk

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

There are a few issues with trying to use the GM Engine setup Flight-O-Matic.
    In addition to the strange to a Stude. Throttle Pressure Cable (it is not a kickdown) it has a special Torque Converter to mate to the GM Engine. I do not know if you could make the GM compatible front pump connect to a Stude. Converter. Those are H.D. Trans. with the Oil Cooling lines, but if you never had the chance to drive any of them it is still a gamble.

The 6 Cyl. Trans. are very close to the same strength as a V-8 missing one or two Clutch Plates really no big deal, but have Low Gear Starts and would not be good for a strong 289 or R1, but fine for a 259, I would probably lean toward using one of those.

We do have to be sure that these 6 Cyl. are pre 1963 Cast Iron Case Units, because they did go to a lightweight Aluminum case Borg Warner Model 35 for those, and you do not want to go there.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Now that I know I can reuse my current FOM, can I reuse my current torque converter... I figure that I need a different bellhousing and will need to do the dial indicating during assembly.

Jeff T.
      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
      The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
      X