Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Engine Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that now. Is there any chance that this was a late build 63 wagon that could have had a 64 Avanti motor from the factory? I'm guessing not since it appears to be an Oct. 64 motor.

Comment

So heres the next thought. It seams like we have determined that this is a 64 Avanti motor which means some poor sole is missing theirs. As I am a big fan of originality, maybe it should be pulled and offered to a 64 Avanti owner. I have to replace my block anyway so original is no longer an option for me.

Comment

There are a few "service engines" around yet but are getting pricey. Those are bare blocks with fitted pistons & have no engine numbers stamped on them. If you go that route I would get the production order from the museum & see what the car was made with originally. It gives engine number, key codes & all equipment installed at the factory.

https://studebakermuseum.org/store/p...60-1966_00029/
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 1stuhess View Post
          I see that now. Is there any chance that this was a late build 63 wagon that could have had a 64 Avanti motor from the factory? I'm guessing not since it appears to be an Oct. 64 motor.
          No. It is a number for an Avanti, not a "Lark type" and the numbers go by model year.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Good find,nice cars all of them.I also have an Avanti engine in my 56 Transtar,engine # RK317 is also a R-1 motor with high (10:+ -1) compression, so its not a candidate for a super-charger.If it were me I would strip the engine from the Avanti & rebuild the heads & super-charger & use the engine from the 62 Hawk or get a rebuilt 259/289 full flow block with dished pistons so you have lower compression (9:00-1) & it will be super-charger freindly.Plus you can drive the Wagonaire now & know you have a very desirable engine under the hood....& it goes like yee-haw.I also have a rebuilt 289 full flow engine with dished pistons,balanced,bored 040 over with a R-2 cam & no heads sitting in my garage...I'm up in B.C. just out of Vancouver so how bout selling me the Avanti?Just kidding.....cheers

Comment

You should be able to find one locally, but if you can't, we are in WA and can build an Avanti engine to your specs. I have one full-flow block left, so decide what you want and we can arrange to ship us your core and ship the built engine to you.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help. It looks like I have a lot to think about.

Comment

Working...
                X