Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Low Oil Pressure 62 Hawk 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Low Oil Pressure 62 Hawk 289

Maybe this will help explain what I am asking! The new oil relief valve has two holes in the ends. One is small and the other is larger. Which end goes in the port first? And does it make any difference? And the spring will not fit in the HOLE And this is a new part.
    Attached Files

Put the end with the small hole in first. The spring does not go inside the larger hole on the back-side. It is almost as large OD as the valve, and just slides in behind it. Make sure the valve free floats, full travel, kinda like a spool valve in a tranny valve body.

Comment

It has been a long time since I pulled one of these (seems like I am saying that too much these days). I think the big hole is used for a tool to be inserted in aiding the removal of the valve if it gets stuck. Studebaker may have had a special tool, but there is a drill size that will wedge in the I D of that large hole and allow you to pull it out.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I will install this in the morning! I just don't like the low oil pressure! 10 Psi on idle is what I have and 30 PSI @ 50 MPH. I just don't want to get into the engine yet. It is either a large clearance in the cam bearings or maybe a bad oil pump.
        I am a retired Hyraulic Eng. so I will get to the bottom of this. Again thanks for your help. I also am working on a Autocyle motorcycle project too. You can see these at Autocycle.org

Comment

I apologize for inserting the notion that the spring went into the large hole, its been about 8 years since I was in there and I forgot.

Let me reiterate that hot oil pressure at idle is of no concern, unless there is no pressure. Your 30 lbs at 50 mph is 15 lbs better than my '53 232 ran (for years) before I put in the restriction, now it runs about 35 lbs at 40 mph and I'm happy with that.

The Studebaker V8 is a very strong, tough engine and can operate well at less than ideal pressure. If you are going to be running quarter miles at full throttle, then you might want to rebuild everything.

Comment

Working...
          X