Power Surges while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Power Surges while driving

My 65 commander l6 has been experiencing power surges while driving. i.e. the lights will turn on randomly and turn back off and the current spikes as well. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

What lights are you speaking of? Headlights? Dash lights? Dome light

Does anything happen to engine speed? Exactly what does your ammeter gauge show?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

your car could be going the a life change, (PC correct for menapause)
      Mark Riesch
      New Bern, NC

Comment

Headlights going off and on could be a bad circuit breaker on the headlight switch. Any corrosion on any of the connectors of the headlight circuit would cause the circuit breaker to fail. Power surges on the alternator could be a bad voltage regulator, or bad diode on the alternator. Just a few thoughts.

Love the change of life bit!

Comment

Every light and electrical component aside from the radio surges. The ammeter was up around 30 if I recall correctly. The engine speed is not affected by the surges. The car is starting to get around that age I wouldn't rule out TXmark's post.

Comment

I'm going to go with Chuck. If you still have a points-type voltage regulator, it could need adjustment or replacement - it could be getting stuck. If your alternator is internally regulated, likely a diode as Chuck mentioned; take it to your local auto electric shop and have them check out both.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Will do, thank you all for the advice!

Comment

Working...
              X