Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Clear Coat Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Clear Coat Paint

Researched the subject on the Forum. From what I gathered, if the clear coat is peeling off, the correct way to redo before new paint is to strip off the clearcoat and paint. Is that correct?

That is certainly the best way but for sure you need to remove all of the clear as it will continue to deteriorate. If the base coat has no cracks and still looks good, you may not have to remove it all. If you do sand off the clear you must remember to keep it all straight and flat. This usually takes some skill.

If you do decide to use paint stripper you will likely run into some filler here and there that must be delt with either by refilling or straightrening. The great thing about removing everything is that you will then find what is beneath and what the body really looks like. You will almost certainly have to do some repair work prior to priming and repainting.

Good Luck.
    don

Comment

A thorough block sanding to remove all the clear coat, followed by a good sealer should suffice. No need to strip off the paint if it is adhering well. Do you know how many coats of paint are already on the car?

Comment

Three coats (original, two repaints) of paint are on the car. The paint under the clear coat is not cracking or peeling. The peeling clear coat is only on the flat surfaces (hood, roof, trunk). There is no clear coat peeling on the vertical surfaces. Does the clear coat need to be removed from those surfaces?

Comment

If it were mine-and a nice driver, not a show car- I would block sand ALL the clear coat off and about 1 layer of paint with a long board (18") and some 180 grit, followed by a 240 grit block, then seal it, reblock with 400 wet and then prep for paint. The clear coat sands easily and usully doesn't load the sandpaper quickly. If all the paint layers are solid, you will have a nice, smooth (probably better than what the facory sent out) finish. If you're making a show car, it is time to strip it down to bare metal and start all over again.

Comment

The danger you have is possibly too thick a base. With that much paint already on the car, before you do anything, go to an automotive paint jobber & ask them to measure the thickness of the paint you have already. It is measured in "mils". If the paint is allowed to be too thick, then from expantion & contraction, it cracks causing a "crows feet" condition. Whatever you do, clay & wax the car every 6 months. The wax is a protection from the U.V. rays the same as suntan lotion on your skin. Think about what you expose you car to on a daily basis. If we were exposed it wouldnt take any time at all to have a severe sunburn or worse, a cancer.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for the guidance and advice and the clear coat and at least one coat of paint will be removed. I had wondered about the thickness of the previous three coats (which is four if the clear coat is counted) causing potential problems.

Comment

Originally posted by GTCruiser View Post
                Thanks for the guidance and advice and the clear coat and at least one coat of paint will be removed. I had wondered about the thickness of the previous three coats (which is four if the clear coat is counted) causing potential problems.
                Before you even start sanding; clean off all surface areas you'll be working on with a good quality automotive surface wax, grease & silicone remover. IF ...you don't do that FIRST, you could be sanding (embedding) contaminants right down into the remaining paint. Personally, I use "FinishMaster 300," but any automotive paint jobber will have something similar to offer you.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

"Three coats (original, two repaints) of paint are on the car. The paint under the clear coat is not cracking or peeling. The peeling clear coat is only on the flat surfaces (hood, roof, trunk). There is no clear coat peeling on the vertical surfaces. Does the clear coat need to be removed from those surfaces?"

IF you have 3 "paint jobs" on it, you might as well strip it all off and start over. There is WAY too much paint on there, and anything you do other than stripping, will just add to the build up of material.
                  Not trying to ruin your day but, even if you paint it yourself, you'll spend about $1299 -$1500 in materials.
                  My Avanti is on it's 4th repaint, only 2 since I've owned it. The first time I blocked 80% of the first 2 paint jobs off, last time, I stripped it with a razor blade, and blocked it a bunch more. It now has minimal material on it.
                  Even being in the Collision Business, materials were in the $1200-$1500 range. Why take a chance on the paint failing in a few years or less?

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Looks like taking off all of the coats is needed to be done. Thanks

Comment

http://www.autobodystore.com/strip_&_paint.shtml

Patrick. (nibbs 53)

Comment

Patrick: Saved what you sent along with the other recommendations & comments. Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                        X