Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to change the Master Cylinder and the Brake Cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    "Something is amiss since can one say class action lawsuit against every vehicle manufacturer?"

I think that's why Raybestos "recommends" replacement every 3-5 years! sell more hoses, <G> and keep the lawsuits to a minimum!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
    "Interesting about 'expiration' dates on brake hoses and I'm an alignment, brake and suspension tech by trade."

I just don't think that the "shelf life" on brake hoses have been brought out to the public view, like tires! AND with a single master cylinder, all of your lines, hoses, and cylinders "should" be inspected at least once a year, if not more often.

Jim
    Something is amiss since can one say class action lawsuit against every vehicle manufacturer?

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    "Interesting about 'expiration' dates on brake hoses and I'm an alignment, brake and suspension tech by trade."

I just don't think that the "shelf life" on brake hoses have been brought out to the public view, like tires! AND with a single master cylinder, all of your lines, hoses, and cylinders "should" be inspected at least once a year, if not more often.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Interesting about 'expiration' dates on brake hoses and I'm an alignment, brake and suspension tech by trade. In all fairness; I did replace all three on my 1962 Lark as well as all 4 wheel cylinders and master cylinder with new parts.

Leave a comment:

• cultural infidel
    replied
    Got all of the new parts in. I will say that they all look pretty good. The dates on the hoses are 5/11, 5/11, and 8/11. So no worries there! Fingers crossed that I can get them done this weekend or next!

Leave a comment:

• cultural infidel
    replied
    placed my order for Wagner, Bendix, and Raybestos parts. Should be in by Monday and Tuesday of next week.

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    "Well the shelf life of the COMPLETED hose is nil, but how old is the bulk hose it's made from.
    I'm not questioning Turner, just the idea of nil shelf life."

The last 100 feet of hose I purchased is dated 2-20-2012!
    I called the DOT yesterday, and here's what I found out on dates. The "furthest back" that they could find was ALL brake hoses must be date coded beginning November 1987, he "thought" further back than that, but, if you have a brake hose that is NOT dated, replace it! and NEVER buy an NOS hose for use!
    Why spend the amount of money we do on these "projects" and take a chance with old brake hose that "could" compromise you and your families safety!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• 55 56 PREZ 4D
    replied
    Well the shelf life of the COMPLETED hose is nil, but how old is the bulk hose it's made from.
    I'm not questioning Turner, just the idea of nil shelf life.

Leave a comment:

• Andy R.
    replied
    Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    I recommend getting new brake hoses from our own Jim Turner. The quality is top notch and the price is right!
    www.turnerbrake.com Also check out his conversion kits and brake upgrades!
    I second this recommendation. He makes them to order, so your shelf life is nil.

Leave a comment:

• cultural infidel
    replied
    Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Almost all manufacturers that use nitrile rubber in their products will tell you that 3 to 5 years is the max for their products.
    It has to do with the shelf life of nitrile rubber itself as a raw material.
    It is interesting that you mention Nitrile as the hose compound. Nitrile on the whole does not receive high marks with brake fluid and is not recommended for brake use. We generally wont even sell it to a customer if they come in asking for a Nitrile seal for brake components, due to the recommendations. I would think that the hoses would be EPDM. If the hoses are in fact EPDM, the shelf life should be unlimited when stored in proper conditions.
    Last edited by cultural infidel; 05-07-2012, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    I checked "several" dealers while in South Bend yesterday & today. The Latest date I found was 6-2005! 7+ years old! The earliest was 1997!! Seriously, brake hoses are like tires! and if you are still running a single chamber master cylinder, it becomes a BIGGER safety concern!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Almost all manufacturers that use nitrile rubber in their products will tell you that 3 to 5 years is the max for their products.
    It has to do with the shelf life of nitrile rubber itself as a raw material.

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
    Check the DATE CODE on your new hoses! Raybestos has posted on their web site, brake hoses should be replaced every 3-5 years! I don't 100% agree, but, I don't disagree on replacement. Brake hoses are a safety issue. I looked at some hoses up here in SB, being sold as new, one had a date of 6/2000, and the latest date was 8/2008, AND they were made in Japan!
    These hoses are a MINIMUM of almost 4 years old.

For your own SAFETY, check the date codes on the hoses! IF you have NO date on your hoses, they need to be replaced

Jim

Leave a comment:

• brian6373
    replied
    Sometimes the inverted flare nut at the wheel cyl. is so rusted to the brake line that even a line wrench just rounds it off. If that happens I've had good success using vise-grips to break the fitting loose. Close it on the fitting VERY tightly, then hit it with the heal of your palm. Of course if it's gotten to that point you should replace the line.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I recommend getting new brake hoses from our own Jim Turner. The quality is top notch and the price is right!
    www.turnerbrake.com Also check out his conversion kits and brake upgrades!

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    Check the DATE CODE on your new hoses! Raybestos has posted on their web site, brake hoses should be replaced every 3-5 years! I don't 100% agree, but, I don't disagree on replacement. Brake hoses are a safety issue. I looked at some hoses up here in SB, being sold as new, one had a date of 6/2000, and the latest date was 8/2008, AND they were made in Japan!
    These hoses are a MINIMUM of almost 4 years old.

For your own SAFETY, check the date codes on the hoses! IF you have NO date on your hoses, they need to be replaced

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X