Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to change the Master Cylinder and the Brake Cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a dual master cylinder ? If not changing over to one is a great idea.
    65 Drum brakes - dual master. Disc brakes - single master. I think.
    Clean up the backing plates and a little lubriplate grease on the pads where the shoes rub.
    Do 0NE side at a time so you have the other side to compare.
    If you've never done brake work before probably best to have someone knowledgable look them over after you're done.
    Ya never know, ya know ?
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
      Do you have a dual master cylinder ? If not changing over to one is a great idea.
      65 Drum brakes - dual master. Disc brakes - single master. I think.
      Clean up the backing plates and a little lubriplate grease on the pads where the shoes rub.
      Do 0NE side at a time so you have the other side to compare.
      If you've never done brake work before probably best to have someone knowledgable look them over after you're done.
      Ya never know, ya know ?
      It does have a dual master cylinder and the replacement that came with the car is a dual.

We have Lubriplate 130AA on the shelf in our shop that I can grab a tube of if that will work for this application. According to the website, it should. http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/detail.aspx?ID=16 My boss said that I can have a tube of it for my garage. Sure is expensive on their site! Maybe I need to raise my prices lol

My cousin-in-law is going to be helping me with them. He says that he has all the tools and has done many brake jobs in the past. He figures it should take an afternoon and a few brews.
      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Infidel,
        One rear brake hose, 2 lines. One hose goes from the line on the frame to a T on the diff, then splits in the the T and is a hard line going each way to the drums and WC. So 1 "hose".
        The fronts move independantly so the have 2 flex hoses. One on each drum/caliper.
        Last edited by kmac530; 05-04-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

You might do the brakes first and the brews afterwards. Some folks get sloppy pretty quickly when they imbibe. Remember, your life depends on these brakes as well as any innocent passengers in the car.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
            Infidel,
            One rear brake hose, 2 lines. One hose goes from the line on the frame to a T on the diff, then splits in the the T and is a hard line going each way to the drums and WC. So 1 "hose".
            The fronts move independantly so the have 2 flex hoses. One on each drum/caliper.
            Thanks! 3 hoses to be ordered!
            Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            You might do the brakes first and the brews afterwards. Some folks get sloppy pretty quickly when they imbibe. Remember, your life depends on these brakes as well as any innocent passengers in the car.
            No worries there mate. We are going to fix the car then bbq and brew it up!

Oh and test the new brakes out.

Last thing that i will really need to be on the road is tires. Its coming together slowly but surely

Comment

Check the DATE CODE on your new hoses! Raybestos has posted on their web site, brake hoses should be replaced every 3-5 years! I don't 100% agree, but, I don't disagree on replacement. Brake hoses are a safety issue. I looked at some hoses up here in SB, being sold as new, one had a date of 6/2000, and the latest date was 8/2008, AND they were made in Japan!
              These hoses are a MINIMUM of almost 4 years old.

For your own SAFETY, check the date codes on the hoses! IF you have NO date on your hoses, they need to be replaced

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

I recommend getting new brake hoses from our own Jim Turner. The quality is top notch and the price is right!
                www.turnerbrake.com Also check out his conversion kits and brake upgrades!

Comment

Sometimes the inverted flare nut at the wheel cyl. is so rusted to the brake line that even a line wrench just rounds it off. If that happens I've had good success using vise-grips to break the fitting loose. Close it on the fitting VERY tightly, then hit it with the heal of your palm. Of course if it's gotten to that point you should replace the line.

Comment

Almost all manufacturers that use nitrile rubber in their products will tell you that 3 to 5 years is the max for their products.
                    It has to do with the shelf life of nitrile rubber itself as a raw material.

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                    Check the DATE CODE on your new hoses! Raybestos has posted on their web site, brake hoses should be replaced every 3-5 years! I don't 100% agree, but, I don't disagree on replacement. Brake hoses are a safety issue. I looked at some hoses up here in SB, being sold as new, one had a date of 6/2000, and the latest date was 8/2008, AND they were made in Japan!
                    These hoses are a MINIMUM of almost 4 years old.

For your own SAFETY, check the date codes on the hoses! IF you have NO date on your hoses, they need to be replaced

Jim
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I checked "several" dealers while in South Bend yesterday & today. The Latest date I found was 6-2005! 7+ years old! The earliest was 1997!! Seriously, brake hoses are like tires! and if you are still running a single chamber master cylinder, it becomes a BIGGER safety concern!

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        Almost all manufacturers that use nitrile rubber in their products will tell you that 3 to 5 years is the max for their products.
                        It has to do with the shelf life of nitrile rubber itself as a raw material.
                        It is interesting that you mention Nitrile as the hose compound. Nitrile on the whole does not receive high marks with brake fluid and is not recommended for brake use. We generally wont even sell it to a customer if they come in asking for a Nitrile seal for brake components, due to the recommendations. I would think that the hoses would be EPDM. If the hoses are in fact EPDM, the shelf life should be unlimited when stored in proper conditions.
                        Last edited by cultural infidel; 05-07-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
                          I recommend getting new brake hoses from our own Jim Turner. The quality is top notch and the price is right!
                          www.turnerbrake.com Also check out his conversion kits and brake upgrades!
                          I second this recommendation. He makes them to order, so your shelf life is nil.
                          Andy
                          62 GT

Comment

Well the shelf life of the COMPLETED hose is nil, but how old is the bulk hose it's made from.
                            I'm not questioning Turner, just the idea of nil shelf life.
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

"Well the shelf life of the COMPLETED hose is nil, but how old is the bulk hose it's made from.
                              I'm not questioning Turner, just the idea of nil shelf life."

The last 100 feet of hose I purchased is dated 2-20-2012!
                              I called the DOT yesterday, and here's what I found out on dates. The "furthest back" that they could find was ALL brake hoses must be date coded beginning November 1987, he "thought" further back than that, but, if you have a brake hose that is NOT dated, replace it! and NEVER buy an NOS hose for use!
                              Why spend the amount of money we do on these "projects" and take a chance with old brake hose that "could" compromise you and your families safety!

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

placed my order for Wagner, Bendix, and Raybestos parts. Should be in by Monday and Tuesday of next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X