Prestolite Distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Prestolite Distributor

Looking for your recomendations for a place to have a Prestolite Distributor out of a 63 Champ with a 259 rebuilt.

Thanks,
    Chris

Dont waste your money. Replace it with either a Delco window distributor or one from vendor Dave T-Bow
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren,
      Do you have contact information for Dave T-Bow?

Comment

Personally, I am quite fond of the V-8 Prestolite distributors. Their original design weakness was the laminated steel advance weights, which would wear out on their pivot points. However, the replacement weights are sintered steel with bronze bushings - a huge improvement. These improved weights are available from any current Studebaker parts vendor, including myself, and are not that difficult to replace.

I am sure I will offend lovers of Delco window distributors, but I pulled the one out of my '61 Lark hardtop and installed a rebuilt Prestolite - so much more room back there compared to a bulky window Delco.
        Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Dave Thibeault phone number is: nine seven eight eight nine seven three one five eight No e-mail

Originally posted by Xcrbudman View Post
          Warren,
          Do you have contact information for Dave T-Bow?
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Bud Alenik, based in LA, also does first-rate rebuilds on the Prestos. He's here on the Forum as "Bud" - just PM him.

Even Dave Thibeault, when you speak with him, will tell you that he likes the Prestolite better than the Delcos when properly rebuilt But having said that, a new Mallory is a pretty sweet piece of work if you have the scratch.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Whichever way you go, consider a Pertronix conversion. Never having to crawl back there and wrestle with point dwell again is a good thing. (And yes, there have been a few rare electronic failures, but then it's getting difficult to find good ignition points and condensors, too.)

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                Whichever way you go, consider a Pertronix conversion. Never having to crawl back there and wrestle with point dwell again is a good thing. (And yes, there have been a few rare electronic failures, but then it's getting difficult to find good ignition points and condensors, too.)

jack vines
                Does this mean you can finally get a Pertronix for a Prestolite?
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

There are enough points extant for several lifetimes.....especially from vendors like Jon Myer....with Pertronix if it craps out the only thing you will do is call for a hook.....with points back on the road in under 30 minutes. Dave Thibeault does beautiful work on his restored Prestolites....a thing of beauty:-)
                  Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                    Bud Alenik, based in LA, also does first-rate rebuilds on the Prestos. He's here on the Forum as "Bud" - just PM him.

Even Dave Thibeault, when you speak with him, will tell you that he likes the Prestolite better than the Delcos when properly rebuilt But having said that, a new Mallory is a pretty sweet piece of work if you have the scratch.
                    Bud has rebuilt two prestolite distributors for me. He does a first rate job at a reasonable price. He sends back all the worn out pieces with your distributor. After installing the rebuilt distributor in my Hawk the performance difference was like night and day.

Rebuilding the distributor will save you $$$ over buying a new one.
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks to all that replied. Great information.

Comment

Yep, Bud has done all of my distributors, he has a Sun Dist machine in his garage AND knows how to use it. Call him

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                        X