King pin removal question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: King pin removal question?

So I started in on replacing my king pin bushings, they are not as bad as I first thought but I'd rather do them now than wait until the king pin wears too much. Do I need a spreader to remove the upper pin? The manual is not clear about this, just says to remove the pin & bushings. Also, does anybody have the bushing press tools they'd like to sell or rent? I can make something, but if someone has them I'd rather not make them.

you can often use sockets to remove/install bushings
    1947 M5 under restoration
    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
      you can often use sockets to remove/install bushings
      I use a dull air chisel to remove, and a socket & baby sledge to install them.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Got plenty of sockets to choose from so that'll work. My first question was regarding the upper outer pin & bushings at the top of the king pin, the manual just says to remove it but doesn't say how.

Comment

If you're not replacing the king pin itself you don't even have to disconnect it at the upper end.

Comment

It is very important to take notes, measure, and use tools so you do not bend the a arms and stuff while re- installing items like the upper pins. I have the tools If you need them. hotwheels63r2@hotmail.com I have notes and pics from several good, bad, and ugly king pin and suspension jobs I have seen/ done. The trick is not to guess, do it right the first time. We have done a few and have a bitch'n set of tools.

My old shop teacher said , " the first fifty are the hardest" I wonder who has done that many 'round here. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
              If you're not replacing the king pin itself you don't even have to disconnect it at the upper end.
              I was hoping to be able to do that, but the rubber seals on the upper & lower pins are gone, so I'm going to have to pull them whether I want to or not, unless someone knows a trick way to sneak them in-or can convince me I don't need them. : ( I am considering getting some new ones, cutting them and zip tying them in place...).

Comment

Forget the zip ties,they won't stay. Borrow the tools from {S} order the complete kit,and do the whole job.You'll be much better off in the long run.. Do you have a shop manual? You need a spreader when you install the upper OUTER pins,and this is really NOT a job to do without a manual!

OOPS! Just reread and see you do have a manual.
                Last edited by 52hawk; 03-17-2012, 11:38 AM. Reason: clarify
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                X