Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Coolant recovery tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Coolant recovery tank?

I know on most cars the coolant recovery tank is below the radiator, but is there a reason it has to be below?
    I had a motorcycle that the recovery tank was at least level if not higher that the rads.
    I can not think of a reason it would hurt if the tank was above. When the coolant get hot and expands, it pushes out under pressure to the RT, as the coolant cools it contracts and draws coolant back into the rad. Low or high that tank should still work right?

I even seem to remember some cars that used the recovery tank as your rad fill point and the tank was above the rad.

Thanks in advance folks for any help.

I think you want it level with the top of the radiator or above. I added one to my M15A. I also have an aluminum replacement radiator. Ideally, you want there to be NO air in the radiator and the tube to the recovery tank. Think to the tank and an expansion tank instead. Unfortunately, my radiator's filler location is not at the top of the radiator and I will always have air in the system... And yes fill into the recovery tank, shouldn't have to open the radiator cap unless draining and refilling..
    1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
    See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good news. I have a wierd Idea. I am installing a modern cross flow rad into my C-cab. I dont prefer the look, but I got a new, all tig welded, all aluminum rad for $135 shipped to my house. I could not pass that up. But now I want to take the cool brass top of my old honeycomb rad and turning it into a CRT and mount it on top of my new cross flow so it still has that old brass top look....could be cool.

Comment

When you do this please take and post pictures for us to see.
        1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
        See rescue progress here on this blog:
        http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X