Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1962 Lark with a Chevy 350: dual exhaust or stay single?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: 1962 Lark with a Chevy 350: dual exhaust or stay single?

Long story short: I've ordered my (dual exhaust) headpipes for my 1962 Lark with its swapped in Chevy 350 and am contemplating either going with duals all the way out or 'Y' them together and run a 2 1/2" single muffler/tailpipe in the factory location. Note the 350 has a 2 barrel carb and I may drop a Q-jet on it later but am keeping it otherwise 100% stock outside of the 'mandatory' HEI.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
    Long story short: I've ordered my (dual exhaust) headpipes for my 1962 Lark with its swapped in Chevy 350 and am contemplating either going with duals all the way out or 'Y' them together and run a 2 1/2" single muffler/tailpipe in the factory location. Note the 350 has a 2 barrel carb and I may drop a Q-jet on it later but am keeping it otherwise 100% stock outside of the 'mandatory' HEI.
    Sweet Pea has a 'factory' single system, but with a twist. Her head pipes are 2" and they flow into a 2 1/2 pipe running to the bumper. I even had the tail pipe made with the proper up and down turn at the rear. Looks 'stock' but BIGGER. She sounds pretty good too- they used an imitation Flowmaster muffler...

All in all- the system is better then stock, and cheaper then duals. I'm happy!!!
    I really wanted duals, but didn't plan far enough into it to think about using Avanti head pipes to clear the madness up front.
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

On the street, through the mufflers, with a 2-bbl, you'll never notice the difference in performance. While most go to dual exhausts without rejetting the carburetor, that's because they don't realize the jets should be changed. Think about it. If dual exhausts actually free up the breathing, then the carb jetting should be richened concomitantly.

I learned this the hard way as a seventeen-year-old. I had a Triumph Bonneville motorcycle and had been saving up for a trick set of megaphone exhausts. When I finally bought the pipes and installed them, the bike sounded great and ran like crap. I went back to the bike shop. When I walked in, the parts manager handed me a pair of richer rods for the Amal carbs. "I knew you'd be back for these, but most young guys need to learn for themselves if you get the burnt exhaust out of the chamber, there's more room for air and more air needs more gas."

Also, if you go with duals, you'll need a crossover between them or an X-pipe or resonator eliminators at the rear of each pipe the way the '60s Chevrolets were equipped. With straight separated pipes, most times a Chevy V8 exhaust develops an unpleasant resonance in the passenger compartment at cruising speeds.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

After pricing out the bulk pipes and generic better quality oval mufflers; I decided to do with a full dual system out the back. Headpipes arrived today and I already bolted 'em on.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
        X