Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would cause oil to get into the air filters on an R2 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: What would cause oil to get into the air filters on an R2 engine?

Changed the air filters on my Avanti and noticed oil in them. Got no clue where it's coming from. The car runs great and doesn't smoke.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

If it is all plumbed like stock, the PCV system would put the oil there if the valve is clogged, . bad rings, or too many high RPMs. Overfilled engine oil can also do it. Not to worry unless you have alot . How much was there?

Comment

(S) is right on the money!..Excess crankcase pressure.

Comment

Not that much oil, just noticeable. I just thought it was peculiar. It's stock. I replaced the PCV valve with a NOS brass one awhile back - say less than 2000 miles. Would a car with bad rings run great and not smoke? Anything else that could cause excess crankcase pressure?? Thanks.

Originally posted by (S) View Post
        If it is all plumbed like stock, the PCV system would put the oil there if the valve is clogged, . bad rings, or too many high RPMs. Overfilled engine oil can also do it. Not to worry unless you have alot . How much was there?
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

Are the breather caps clean? Also, have you checked to make sure the dipstick reads correct oil level? The PCV breather tube sits fairly low on the engine, if oil is over the correct level and you make a hard left turn, it possibly could suck some oil up through the PCV tube. Now you're gonna make me go out and check mine..... BTW, where did you find the NOS brass PCV valve?

Comment

Thanks! I got the PCV valve from an individual off eBay. I guess I need to check the breather caps too. I have the chrome replacements with the STP stickers. But they have less than 2k miles on them. I actually have two chrome oil dip sticks (one spare). They seem to read the correct level after an oil change.

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
            Are the breather caps clean? Also, have you checked to make sure the dipstick reads correct oil level? The PCV breather tube sits fairly low on the engine, if oil is over the correct level and you make a hard left turn, it possibly could suck some oil up through the PCV tube. Now you're gonna make me go out and check mine..... BTW, where did you find the NOS brass PCV valve?
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
            X