Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Jet Thrust Engine Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Jet Thrust Engine Mount

I have purchased a fuel pump from Phil Harris at Fairborn. Phil suggests that this fuel pump was for the Jet Thrust engine which requires a dimple on the engine mount attached to the frame of the Hawk car. Since my Hawk did not come with a Jet Thrust engine, I don't have the engine mount with the dimple on it. I have the engine out rebuilding it and would like to find an engine mount used on the Jet Thrust equiped engine. I don't see at S.I. and Phil didn't suggest that he had them either.

Where can I find such a mount?
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Either from a parts Hawk that originally had a JT engine....or you can bash a sufficient "dimple" in the mount you have now. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

"Quote of the Year" from your highly technical TW Co-Operator editor!
      (my kind of guy!)

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Either from a parts Hawk that originally had a JT engine....or you can bash a sufficient "dimple" in the mount you have now. BP
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        "Quote of the Year" from your highly technical TW Co-Operator editor!
        (my kind of guy!)
        At your service, Jeffster. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have seen them cut off, heated and bashed in many ways, The best way is from a picture, those mounts are rare, you'll probably have to make the side you need.

Place it in a good fixture, heat it up red hot, and procede. You have to keep the heat on the part you want to dent, while working it, be sure the sides that roll under do not fold over.

Unless you have some metal working experience, that's the best way for the do-it-your-selfer

Now, if you are a metal guy, cut the edge, roll it out of the way, dent as needed and weld 'er back up. Looks better.

I lost my stude parts pics, or i'd show you one.

Maybe JDP or someone has a shot of their JTS Hawk with the engine out?

Comment

One persons "bash" is another persons "custom" !!

Comment

Isn't "bash" a British or Aussie term?

Comment

Where's the bash being held? And do I need to rent a tux?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  Where's the bash being held? And do I need to rent a tux?
                  If you don't have a tie, you can borrow one from Dave Lester.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                    If you don't have a tie, you can borrow one from Dave Lester.
                    Take your pick, I don't think he has a favorite.

Comment

Okay, let me see if I get this straight... put on a tux, get drunk, heat the old mount with red hots and bash the thing in!!?? Or do me and the mount get bashed?

Thankfully Phil Harris sent me a picture and I kind of thought it would wind up like this, beating a dimple, which should be a lot easier while I have the engine out. But hope to put the engine back in later this week and fire her up!

Nevertheless, thanks guys for your help, maybe we can all get bashed together at South Bend.
                      Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

I had the same problem: I have a '57 Golden Hawk but want to use the later R2 fuel pump and have a return line to the gas tank.
                        Since my front crossmember was damaged, I needed to replace it anyway, and was fortunate enough to find a replacement from a 62GT Hawk (I think?), that had the dimple.
                        BUT, the reason I'm posting is to tell you I got the copy of the factory blueprint for the motor mount in question here, and it literally says, in a footnote, that for supercharged cars, (which required the dimple), use a hammer and make the dimple to the dimensions shown. :-)
                        So, yes, the factory method WAS a hammer! As a mechanical engineeer, I had to laugh, couldn't believe it. We think everything was so precisely made "at the factory", and here is a factory blueprint with "use a hammer" on it. I love it!

Comment

Working...
                        X