Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Hawk floor pans both replaced FINALLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hawk58man
    replied
    Good Job! its nice to see it come along and like everyone else said,"you did it yourself". I remember when you couldn't weld, but took a community college welding course and with practice ,look what you have accomplished, by yourself. Now your efforts will help others who will be asking themselves the same question you asked yourself."Can I do it?? and the answer is."Yes you can !''I'll be sending in some more photo's on mine.. Take Care and nice job.. Mike

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    thank you nice work

Thank you for doing a nice job. Always nice to see better restored cars out there. Good for the club and marque. cheers jimmijimQUOTE=bsrosell;628430]After several months of sneaking a few hours here and there, and between trips to Asia for work, I finally completed replacement of both floor pans (and floor mount arms) on my '57 Golden Hawk.
    Thanks again to all the folks who helped with photos and suggestions. Much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• 61Lark
    replied
    That looks great!

Nick

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    One more thing! <G> After you seal & paint the floor, go on eBay, look up Fat Mat, it's the same as Dynamat, but a lot cheaper! 100 sq. ft. for about $150 or less. More than you need, but it sure works great!! On th underside, you mught think about a bedliner spray.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Garywala
    replied
    Well done! Thanks for sharing complete! I am traveling for work quite a bit.......but only to Plano, Texas! You have eliminated my excuse!

Leave a comment:

• tbirdtbird
    replied
    a ton of work, especially appreciated by all of us who have done it, and done well. when u have a shop do it sometimes u never know if it was done properly. i am working on a car right now with a ton of east coast rot and it is a mess

Leave a comment:

• bsrosell
    replied
    One thing I forgot to mention, a surprise 'bonus' of taking out the front supports, I was able to replace both the front fender nut (which had stripped out) and the lower door hinge nut (frozen and had to be drilled out) with cage nuts and weld them from the INSIDE of the cowl pillar, from underneath. I made a piece to fit the rusted out area in the cowl at the same time, screwed it all together tight, and welded it and both cage nuts from the inside. Didn't know I could do this until I removed the rotted front body support.
    Tacked from inside, filled "hole" on outside (against new metal patch), so fender will fit flush, and both cage nuts are replaced in original positions. Sometimes there is a silver lining to the 'extra work' of that rotted out floor mount :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bsrosell; 03-11-2012, 04:33 PM. Reason: add photo

Leave a comment:

• junior
    replied
    Atta-boy! Nice job, and the best part about the whole deal is you were determined to do it yourself and you did. That's what brings me the real satisfaction is the problem solving aspect of doing such a daunting task the first time. Years later you sit back and wondered if it was worth all the time you spent on it, only to realize that the experience was as MasterCard puts it...priceless. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have the money to pay someone to do such work, but once again there is nothing like saying "I did this myself"...congrats. Junior.

Leave a comment:

• 1954khardtop
    replied
    Nice job! I've been following along. I was replacing my torque boxes and body braces. I tried patching the floors, but kept blowing thru the thin metal. I finally gave up and ordered new pans. I should have ordered them with the other parts, but tried to get by without them.
    Seeing how you did yours, and reading the advice you got on your earlier thread will be a big help, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Excellent job! I know what a PITA that kinda work is. Every time I do it I swear its the last time. Yours came out better than the ones I did in the GT several months ago. I gutted the interior also, and it was a major project. Thought I'd NEVER get done.

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    Looking good, Be sure to use an "etch primer" on the bare metal, then use a 2 part seam seal on BOTH sides. Prime, Paint, and undercoat as desired!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Golden Hawk floor pans both replaced FINALLY!

After several months of sneaking a few hours here and there, and between trips to Asia for work, I finally completed replacement of both floor pans (and floor mount arms) on my '57 Golden Hawk.
    Thanks again to all the folks who helped with photos and suggestions. Much appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bsrosell; 03-10-2012, 03:37 PM.
Working...
X