1974 Avanti Steering Column Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1974 Avanti Steering Column Source

Can anyone tell me the source of the steering column in my 1974 Avanti, manufacture and year.

I'd like to find a Steering wheel adapter. I've checked Bob Johnstones site but can't find data on columns newer than 1966.

Thanks, Bob

It should either be an AMC or a Mopar steering column. The only way I know to tell the difference easily is whether the ignition key is a GM type with a rectangular head or a Mopar Pentastar shaped key. What particular model AMC or Mopar I don't know.

I would think the authority on that for sure would be Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

1974 Avantis used AMC steering columns which were GM with an AMC part #. They will accommodate either a GM or a Mopar ignition lock. I've owned two '74s and my last one had the Mopar lock and I installed a GM ignition lock from NAPA.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
        1974 Avantis used AMC steering columns which were GM with an AMC part #. They will accommodate either a GM or a Mopar ignition lock. I've owned two '74s and my last one had the Mopar lock and I installed a GM ignition lock from NAPA.
        Thanks Paul

That's exactly what I needed.

Bob

Comment

I believe the tilt column which replaced the stock 1970 one in my car, was from a 69 Camaro
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
          X