Curiosity Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Curiosity Question

Why do a lot of Studebaker owners replace the Dana rear axle with a Ford when they are repowering the car with an implant drivetrain ? Thanks, Dan

To CarcrosswrdDan,----------- The Dana 44 is an excellent axle that's been around for a long time. The center section was used in the Dodge Viper V-10 sports car. But many Hot Rodders like the Ford 9"

Comment

Narrower track (for bigger wheels and tires). Easier to change ratio. A less expensive way to get flanged axles.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Rear axle curiosity question

My guess would be because of the weakness at the outer end of the tapered axles and also the pain in the a.. dealing with a puller when you need to work on (or even inspect) the brakes.
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

I'll bet a lot has to do with following the crowd. This is the most mentioned rear axle with rodders and becomes the one to have, needed or not.

Comment

I think if we had the actual numbers, we may find that more Members with "Performance Studes." switch to a '65-'66 Stude. Flanged Axle Dana 44 with TT, or the Fairborn Studebaker/Moser Flanged Axle conversion Kit for the durability and strength.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X