FULLY Synchronized 3 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: FULLY Synchronized 3 Speed

I've read old advertising that implies that in the early sixties, Studebaker 3 speed manual transmissions were fully synchronized. When (or did ) Stude move to the low gear synchronized, 3 speed tranny ? Don't think Ford had theirs until '65, but it could have been sooner. Thanks, Dan

To: CarCrosswordDan,--------- I don't think they ever did Dan.

Comment

SN-60, Thanks, I really didn't think so but the ad made me question same. Correction to original post. Ford's was available in '63 but think it was limited to full-size models with V/8s until '67, then 6s could have them. Believe they were Ford sourced transmissions, not from B/W.

Comment

To: Car CrosswordDan,----- One thing about the Studebaker T-96, T-86, and T-85. If the car we're talking about has overdrive, and if the overdrive is engaged, once the vehicle slows enough to return to conventional, the trans.
        freewheels, which really allows You to grab first gear without any substantial gear clash....Know what I mean?

Comment

SN-60, sure do. Have loved driving those cars equipped with elec O/D in the past ! My fav was a little '55 B/A, 2 door post I had right out of HS. It had a high-winding (7,200 shift point) solid lifter 'Vette engine that was, for a while, linked to a 3-speed O/D. at the time the car had a 3.36 rear axle ratio rear end. The car would run about 65-70 in low O/D. Lots of fun to run the local rich kids with their new 327 Powerglides as they wanted to roll-start about 20. Dan

Comment

To: CarCrosswordDan,---- I guess You do know!.....Great car....Great story!

Comment

To really confuse the issue, for a while in the mid-60s GM bought Ford's all-synchro three speed and installed them in their cars.

I put more than 100k miles on a '66 Falcon 289" 3-speed and 2.80 rear gears. (That's the same 289" Ford made for Studebaker ;>) It was one of the best all-around cars of the day and would do 20 MPG with a light foot.

Interestingly, that Ford is also the tranny of choice for some Bonneville cars, because it is small, light, strong and cheap.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

To:Packard V8,------Yes, I remember GM did offer an all-synchro 3-speed during that time period. Never realized it was that same Ford unit!

Comment

Packard had them all beat with a all synchro 3 speed in the late 30's early 40's.20 years before Ford, GM, and Borg Warner.

Comment

To: Robert,------- Weren't the stick gearboxes of choice for hot rodders in the fifties the Packard and the Cad/LaSalle? Extremely tough units I believe.

Comment

SN-60,Yes they were a popular transplant,plus they came with overdrive and the overdrive was the big r-11 unit.Pretty tough but not as tough as the Cad/LaSalle.They had big wide gears but from what I heard the gears were hardened a little to hard and under heavy horsepower they would let go.Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Packard had them all beat with a all synchro 3 speed in the late 30's early 40's.20 years before Ford, GM, and Borg Warner.
                        Welcome ROBERT! I am glad to hear from a relatively New Forum member also in the Great Pacific Northwest.

If you are not currently a Member of one of our several Great Washington SDC Chapters, I am sure one will Welcome you.

Good, NOT still another "Bob"! Lol! I think we have reached our Quota!

Glad to have you aboard! Rich. Mike and Dave at Studebakers Northwest.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,Thanks for the welcome! Too many Bob's?I guess I can go back to Robert,Rob,or hey You.I've seen your posts but didn't know the connection with Studebakers Northwest.Where abouts is Studebakers Northwest Located? Robert

Comment

When someone lists a Location as you have in their profile when signing up, (very helpful for us to help each other) it displays on the left of every post.

It is Ferndale, 5.74 miles North of Bellingham.

Please tell us what Stude. or Studes you have or want to have.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-10-2012, 03:32 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I saw the Ferndale location but thought that was where you lived and since in this day and age people commute some distance that maybe Studebakers Northwest was located maybe in Bellingham or somewhere else.So now I know.Only have one Studebaker,a 54 Champion Regal Hardtop,that is on my bucket list .Past Studebakers-a 53 Champion coupe and a 58 Packard Hawk. Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X