No announcement yet.

Looking for a 9 inch rear brake drum for 62 Lark and/or alternative suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Looking for a 9 inch rear brake drum for 62 Lark and/or alternative suggestions

I'm in need of a replacement 9 inch rear brake drum for a 1962 Lark station wagon with tapered axles/dana 27, drums in front, OHV 6 and single reservoir master cylinder. I believe that the part number might be 1542158 or possibly 1558904. I've checked both SI and StudeParts websites and they have nothing listed. I've got e-mails into both vendors in case they might have the part anyway. Are there any other vendors that you suggest I contact.

In the event that that I am unable to find a replacement 9 inch drum, I'm interested in other possible suggestions to get the wagon back on the road. Please keep in mind that I don't have a machine shop or a welder. I'm a bolt-it-on kinda guy.

Here are some things I've considered:

There seems to be 10 inch drums available from the vendors, and I would imagine that this would be a pretty easy swap. Would there be any problems doing this?

Are there any readily available non-Studebaker drums or whole brake units that might fit with or without some slight modification?

Is there a non-Studebaker rear-end that would be an easy swap in which brake parts are readily available?

There's always the Turner rear disc option.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Chad

If you swap everything from the backing plates out, the 10" brakes would be an easy upgrade. I would think that there are lots of good used 9" drums if you want to just replace one. Someone will probably offer soon.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Chad, I sent you a pm.
      Originally posted by Chad Huth View Post
      I'm in need of a replacement 9 inch rear brake drum for a 1962 Lark station wagon with tapered axles/dana 27, drums in front, OHV 6 and single reservoir master cylinder. I believe that the part number might be 1542158 or possibly 1558904. I've checked both SI and StudeParts websites and they have nothing listed. I've got e-mails into both vendors in case they might have the part anyway. Are there any other vendors that you suggest I contact.

In the event that that I am unable to find a replacement 9 inch drum, I'm interested in other possible suggestions to get the wagon back on the road. Please keep in mind that I don't have a machine shop or a welder. I'm a bolt-it-on kinda guy.

There seems to be 10 inch drums available from the vendors, and I would imagine that this would be a pretty easy swap. Would there be any problems doing this?

Are there any readily available non-Studebaker drums or whole brake units that might fit with or without some slight modification?

Is there a non-Studebaker rear-end that would be an easy swap in which brake parts are readily available?

Chad
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Huth View Post

Chad
        1962-65 Ford Fairlane or 1965-66 Mustang 8" rear end would be your best choice, just that you have to probably have the leaf spring perches moved to match your Dana 27. Why I say that particular Ford assembly is they are within 1/4" of a Stude rear end plus rear brake parts (10" drum) are readily available. Another choice would be a 1957-59 big Ford 9" unit or a 1990's Ford Explorer 8.8".
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
        X