Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cdevan
    replied
    Thank you for all of your expertise, I used your advice and the Golden Hawk started right up. It's great to have this kind of a resource that allows you to air issues/problems to folks that have been there. Thanks again, Curt

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    There are several electrical circuits that do not go through the ignition switch, like the horn and the lights. If they don't work, then the battery is not correctly connected to anything. A simple 12v test light will tell you where the electrons are getting stopped.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by cdevan View Post
    I hooked up the new and fully charged battery and still the Hawk does not turn over;
    The "NO Start" could be something really SIMPLE, like a bad solenoid, Solenoid wired wrong etc.

Check that the small 18ga. Red/White wire from the "Start" Terminal on your Ignition switch is connected to the "S" Terminal on the Solenoid.

The FIRST thing I would do is put the (+) probe on your 12V Test Light on the Terminal on the Solenoid end of the Pos. (+) Batt. cable, and the Ground clip end on the Negative (-) Batt. Post, to see if that clamp-on Cable end actually works.

The no power at all, anywhere situation though, is most likely a problem at the Ignition Switch, all simple stuff. Just disconnect the Battery (+) Cable and jump in there!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-10-2012, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    What, if anything, else is connected to the post on the solenoid that the positive battery cable is connected to? I don't own a Hawk, but on many Studes, there are one or more other wires connected to that stud that power everything else on the car except the starter. It's obvious you're not getting juice to anything.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    To: cdevan,---- I saw the photo....really nice looking cars. Your stepfather had good taste. You may have seen the other Thread: "Counting '55 Speedsters" I'm trying to put a roster together of surviving Speedsters. If You like, post
    the serial and the body number of Yours, and I will add it to the index. Your Speedster is possibly already in the 1993 roster by Bob Johannessen, which layed the groundwork for the new roster. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• cdevan
    replied
    I posted a photo of the '57 Hawk and the '55 President Speedster on the SDC Forum where members show photos of their cars.

Leave a comment:

• cdevan
    replied
    I hooked up the new and fully charged battery and still the Hawk does not turn over; The dome light does not come on when the door is opened, and the guage on the dash remains at "0". Battery posts are new and cable ends are new making solid connections. I think this solution may be out of my purview. Any other suggestions that I can try to get the Hawk started. Thanks again for all of your assistance and advice.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
    you can purchase red or black covering for your new wires to help in the future. Both of my cables were black because I had 2 new heavy duty black ones just covered positive with red sleeve. I prefer cables with the ends attached as opposed to those that bolt to the cable you may avoid hard starts and corrosion down into the cables over time.
    The bolt-on ends are meant to be a temporary fix.

Leave a comment:

• K-Hawk
    replied
    you can purchase red or black covering for your new wires to help in the future. Both of my cables were black because I had 2 new heavy duty black ones just covered positive with red sleeve. I prefer cables with the ends attached as opposed to those that bolt to the cable you may avoid hard starts and corrosion down into the cables over time.
    Last edited by K-Hawk; 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    To: cdevan,---- When You have a chance, could You post more photos of Your Hawk? By the engine pics it looks very original...Nice!

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    All (well almost all) cars built since 1956 have been 12 volt, negative ground. So no matter what color the cables are, the one that goes to the negative terminal of the battery connects to the engine block. As Gary notes, on Stude V8s, there's normally a special stud on the water pump manifold designed for that purpose -- but any old big bolt will do. Make sure the connection is clean with no paint to add resistance. Wire brushes come in handy here. The positive cable is "hot" and connects to one of the big lugs on the starter solenoid on the fender apron. The other big lug should already be connected to the lug on the starter.

Connect the positive cable first. This will prevent sparks in case you accidentally touch it against something grounded. On most modern cars, the positive cable is red, but it really doesn't matter as long as both cables make clean solid connectiions with the battery posts.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    The negative cable is the one (that should be) attached to your water pump housing. The positive cable goes to the starter solenoid. Just hook them up to the appropriate/corresponding 12 volt battery terminals.

Leave a comment:

• cdevan
    started a topic Electrical: Battery Hook up for '57 Golden Hawk

Battery Hook up for '57 Golden Hawk

I am replacing the battery on my '57 Golden Hawk. The battery cables (red) were both painted black. I am not sure which cable is positive and which is negative. I found nothing in the manual that would explain this installation. Is there a correct procedure? Positive cable first, then the negative cable. I have provided some photos of my engine compartment. I would appreciate any assistance in this area as I am a novice at anything mechanical.
    Attached Files
Working...
X