What is mar glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: What is mar glass?

While the Champ is in the body shop I'm having some details attended to. The upper tailgate seam is rusting. The shop says they will grind away the rust & fill the seam with mar glass. What is it? The frame is also bent but that's another issue. Thanks in advance for info.

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
    While the Champ is in the body shop I'm having some details attended to. The upper tailgate seam is rusting. The shop says they will grind away the rust & fill the seam with mar glass. What is it? The frame is also bent but that's another issue. Thanks in advance for info.
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beS38K155C5Rgl
    Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Red flag! That's basically bondo with fiberglas strands in it. Same as Tiger Hair, Kitty Hair, Duraglas, etc. What they're proposing is a cob-job repair, similar to patching rust holes with fiberglas or pop-riveting flashing.

The correct repair is to open the seam, sand blast, epoxy prime/weld through prime, close seam, and refinish. What they want to do will not clean out or stop the rust, just cover it; it will allow moisture in and hold it, actually accelerating the rust. Bad idea.

Now, if they explained this to you and quoted a price for either way, then no problem. Ideally they taught you the difference so you could make an informed decision on which way you wanted to go.

But if they're trying to pass this off as a proper repair, I'd be pissed... and wondering about the rest of their work.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Mar Glass is a type of body filler, similar to a Bondo product but it has fiberglass fibers in it to reinforce it and make it stronger.
        Some love it, some hate it. It would be your call. It is a good product for its intended purpose, but if there is much rot I reccomend steel patches be welded in first and worked as smooth as possible then a thin film of a filler and some sealer and high fill primer and lots of block sanding before painting.

Comment

New tailgates are available from SI. FYI

OOPS. Only for P-1 Beds.
          Last edited by kurtruk; 03-07-2012, 02:39 PM. Reason: Bad news if you have a P-2 bed.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Where do we get these EXPERTS. How many body shop degrees do you have? You better study up on Dyna-Glas they patch boats with it. If anybody needs a degree see Bob Andrews
            Last edited by Carl Purdy; 03-07-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Bondo is a polyester filler, and porous, and steel will rust underneath it.
              However Dura-glass/Kitty -hair is an epoxy based product and is truly impervious to moisture.
              That being said, it is not the best product for going over bare steel. If it were me, I would cut out any rust and weld in new metal.
              Barring that, I would sand-blast to bare steel, and coat it with Panel-bonding adhesive (like for door skins) then when it was cured, mar-glass over that.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

To ST2DE5,---- kurtruk and Bob Andrews are explaning that grinding rust down and applying Mar-glass over it is at best a temporary repair. The rust will return, because it hasn't actually left! They are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                  Where do we get these EXPERTS. How many body shop degrees do you have? You better study up on Dyna-Glas they patch boats with it. If anybody needs a degree see Bob Andrews
                  I have two separate Auto Tech degrees. I am Bear frame certified. I attended PPG and Sikkens tech seminars on several occasions during the 20 plus years I owned and operated a successful collision and restoration shop. I've done ground-up restorations, heavy collision rebuilds, and most things in between. I grew up in the used car business and saw every conceivable short-cut cobble repair imaginable. That enough for you?

These products are made to repair FIBERGLAS. They will not stick to metal long-term, and make the problem worse. I did this thread illustrating exactly this:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rglas-on-metal

So, if you want to use fiberglas on fiberglas, of course it's correct. And I never said it wasn't.

Why you decided to fire off without knowing what you're talking about, or what somebody's qualifications are, is a mystery. The purpose of my post was to give important information. What was the purpose of your unwarranted, nonsensical attack?
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

sure they patch boats with Marglass etc, fiberglass boats. Not rusty boats.

I've done body work on 12 cars and painted them all. Some are 15-yr old jobs and they all look like I painted them yesterday. Learned from a hi-end 35-yr veteran. Have also repaired hundreds of boats.

The body shop should know this but just FYI for everyone else: Automotive primers and paints will not stick well to glass fiber. You cannot prime directly over marglass, you have to cover the marglass with a thin layer of regular bondo (use 'Rage' it is worth it). You need to cover any raw fiberglass with
                    1) a thin coat of 2-part resin such as you get from boat, hardware, or automotive stores (i've done this a hundred times on boat repair)
                    2) thin layer of bondo or icing

good luck
                    1947 M5 under restoration
                    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Well...Sometimes it is a matter of common sense, dissimilar materials, bonding and variable rates of flexibility. You leave a spec of rust with a toehold in metal... give it a good diet of the salt air, fog, rain, and summer heat of the humid Charleston atmosphere...given enough time, the metal substrate will disappear leaving a little blob of fiberglass, resin and paint hanging by its fibers.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

yep, and the rusted area will push up (rust expands) and cause the finished surface to bubble and blister and ruin the appearance for sure
                        1947 M5 under restoration
                        a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Bob,I'm kinda thinking the same thing ! I'd be putting new metal as needed,then finish from there ! does'nt truely mean the rest of the work performed is gonna be lower end ? but I'm not there to see what happens in said shop. Rob, I would ask them for another version of approaching the tailgate and then weigh it out.I for one would want you to be happy with Champ's repairs !
                          Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                          Red flag! That's basically bondo with fiberglas strands in it. Same as Tiger Hair, Kitty Hair, Duraglas, etc. What they're proposing is a cob-job repair, similar to patching rust holes with fiberglas or pop-riveting flashing.

The correct repair is to open the seam, sand blast, epoxy prime/weld through prime, close seam, and refinish. What they want to do will not clean out or stop the rust, just cover it; it will allow moisture in and hold it, actually accelerating the rust. Bad idea.

Now, if they explained this to you and quoted a price for either way, then no problem. Ideally they taught you the difference so you could make an informed decision on which way you wanted to go.

But if they're trying to pass this off as a proper repair, I'd be pissed... and wondering about the rest of their work.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

ST2DE5, would you want a contractor to build you a house on a swamp ? or on a foundation ? in a nutshell that about sums it up !
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

agree with bams, bez and others...

i wouldn't do it.

anybody want to see my "degrees" in body work? dude, lay off the positive comments by anyone trying to help!!!
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X