Frustrating slow drip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Frustrating slow drip

Twice I have replaced the gasket on my project Avanti's differential cover, using Permatex High Tack sealant on both sides of the gasket and still I have a slow drip. On the second try, I made sure the holes weren't deformed from too much torque from a previous owner. The cover sat squarely flat when I tried it again, and yet I still have this annoying drip.
    I don't want to live with a drip pan. The case itself looks fine, no cracks.
    Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

To: tomnoller,-------- Are You sure that drip isn't caused by rear end fluid rolling back from the pinion seal?

Comment

Positive! Checked front and rear. I have it on my lift. Just seems to seep from the bottom of the cover.

I'm not so sure a thicker gasket is the answer.

Comment

some people don't even use the gasket...just sealer...

Comment

Here is my technique to seal most stuff:

Clean all surfaces.
          Wipe down all surfaces with denatured alcohol
          Apply a thin coat of high temp Copper RTV to all surfaces including inside edge of gasket
          Let harden over night
          Apply another thin coat of high temp RTV to all surfaces and assemble
          Tighten fasteners to about 1/4" torque spec
          Let harden over night
          Remove each fastener, one at at a time, apply thread lock and reassemble
          Tighten all fasteners to torque spec
          1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
          See rescue progress here on this blog:
          http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Remove the gasket, clean the sealing surfaces real well. Use a bead of high temp or other form of RTV. I've had a few differential covers that gave me fits. I finally went to doing it this way. Most of the current OEM's use the RTV method.

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
            Twice I have replaced the gasket on my project Avanti's differential cover, using Permatex High Tack sealant on both sides of the gasket and still I have a slow drip. On the second try, I made sure the holes weren't deformed from too much torque from a previous owner. The cover sat squarely flat when I tried it again, and yet I still have this annoying drip.
            I don't want to live with a drip pan. The case itself looks fine, no cracks.
            Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Hi Tom. . .

There is a permanent solution, but it involves a MIG. Then it will never bother you again. ;-)

Have fun!

Henry Votel
              Forest Lake, MN
              Henry Votel,
              Forest Lake, MN
              Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Tom,
                Most off road guys do not even use gaskets anymore. Not too much High Tack going on either.
                Most use a good Black RTV sealant. Some of the blue and red stuff are less oil resistant that the black or ultra black. Personally my favorite black sealer is a Yamaha product called Yamalube Yambond 6b

Whatever you use do not use too much and do not tighten immediately. I finger tighten the bolts after a 1/4" ish bead circling all the way around each bolt hole. Let it set up thoroughly for at least a few hours, depending on what type it is. Then torque the bolts...not too tight. I do not have a torque spec for this, but I just go past snug a bit but not cranking on it.

It works for me every time. The Yamabond 6b is very pricey at $15 for a 3.5 oz tube....but that stuff would fix the space shuttle if you needed it to. Worth the money imho. I have used for crazy stuff that I never even thought it would fix, just a last ditch attempt...and it has never failed me. Blue RTV always fails me. Gaskacinch and High Tack are just to hold a gasket in a wierd spot, imo, not to add much in the way of sealing.

Worth a try. Black and Ultra black Permatex is only 5 bucks or so a tube and would work fine in most instances.

Comment

Tom I had the SAME problem once with high tack, you have to let it cure when it is cold and humid before you fill the diff. Also, you may want to check the cover plate bolt holes- sometimes they are 'through holes' and those bolts need sealer too!

Comment

You guys rock! Thanks so much.

Comment

The ultra black RTV did the trick, along with using it in the 'through' holes along the bottom.
                      No more buying a gasket...the RTV makes a perfect one.
                      Thanks so much, Guys!

Comment

Another point of leakage on these axles occurs at the weld plugs that fasten the axle tubes to the housing and will result in a persistent drip from the bottom of the housing with driving motion. A simple fix is to clean the surface of the plug and smear it with black RTV. A better fix after grit blasting for paint is to smear the plugs with an epoxy filler. I've seen one axle that would drop a puddle on the floor if the axle was tilted a few degrees to the right. Good to hear that this wasn't the cause of your problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X