Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

The Incredible Studebaker EDIS distributorless ignition system demonstration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: The Incredible Studebaker EDIS distributorless ignition system demonstration!

Step right up and see the Incredible Studebaker powered EDIS ignition system! Marvel at the spectacle of the ignition system operating without the use of its points or distributor!
    I went into detail on the Racing Studebaker on this setup, but in the last couple of days I installed the wiring(loosely), and programmed the Megasquirt ECU to recognize the EDIS setup, rather than the points ignition that it was originally using. For the past couple of days I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting spark to the plug, so I went over every inch of the wiring and about painted it black and blue, before going to the Web and reading on a couple of the forums that the VR sensor may be wired backwards. The VR sensor is polarity sensitive, so if it's not wired correctly, nothing happens. I wired mine by the color coding on the EDIS module and the sensor, which both had blue and gray wiring, so I figured it was cut apart from the Ford it was on and shipped to me that way. Guess not, so I flipped the wires, and using the remote starter I have, I got spark at the plug! Anyway, here's a video of today's events:

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

The second video shows Him doing ignition work during a snowstorm......AND THIS IS THE SPIRIT THAT MAKES AMERICA GREAT!!!!!

Comment

Oh yeah, I had to check the .030-.060 gap on the VR sensor with the trigger wheel, because if that wheel was off center, it was going to come around and destroy the end of the sensor. I was demonstrating that it was dead **** centered on the dampener, and the basic functionality of the ignition systems you see on the Fords these days. . Let's just say I wanted to get it completed, and I didn't mind a little 30 degree weather, snow, and biting wind to finish it, although I don't do that sort of thing very often around these parts when the weather gets that lousy .

If you haven't seen it on the Racing Forum, this is the video he was talking about. It was a cold, semi spring, windy, average Chicago day when I shot the video :

Last edited by PlainBrownR2; 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM.
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

It lives!!

From inside the car......

Now I just need to button everything back up on the front of the car, put the ECU back into place, and I'll probably need to run Megatune a couple more times, but for the moment, it's running on fuel injection and no points!

Comment

Back together it went, at least to the point before I got this wild eyed igntion idea. It runs a whole lot better though, as the video attests....

It starts out at about 11-12 air fuel ratio, and then when it warms up, it's running around 12-13. There's also quite a bit more power present(and I mean crack the throttle and it just wants to wind kinda power), and it doesn't fall feel like it falls on its face after 3K rpm, like it did with the dual points. I can also detect a noticeable whistle when I let off the gas from the turbos, something that it didn't do before either. Now the distributor isn't completely without function. Since the shaft is connected to the camshaft and the top of the oil pump, it's still needed to drive the oil pump, it's just not going to have any plug wires or coil running to it.
          While I had the radiator out, I also did a few other things, namely wind header wrap around the turbocharger piping and seal it up, run my fan through my wire wheel brushes to remove the pitting, prime and paint it, and briefly flush out the radiator and engine block.

Comment

Wait, maybe one more for the day before this becomes repetitive and overplayed

Just like on my port injection thread, I have the PC plugged into the ECU behind me via the serial cable. Whatever input is coming into the ECU is being spat out through the output on the PC's Megatune software. I may still be having issues here, because it will free rev up to 3500 and then stop winding. That might be because it still has the stock 289 cam in it, the engine is not under load and the car is not moving anywhere, and it doesn't have the R-powered detail that my Lark does. That, and airflow through the heads might also be limiting just how much power can be achieved in this configuration. It does however, have a great deal of punch from 900 on up to 3300 rpm.

The PC screen is showing the RPM, temperature of the heads, temperature of the outside air, duty cycle of the injectors, Manifold Absolute Pressure, Injector Pulse Width, Air Fuel Ratio, and Spark Advance. In this instance, spark advance was what had my attention. At idle it was a solid 11.8, and at full throttle, swung over to a solid 20-21 degrees of advance at 3300 rpm. The spark table has it outlined for about 40 degrees of advance at 7000 rpm, so I'll see if I can dial it back and see if it can do anything for it . In all honesty though, it may not see anything that high, and it will probably have more than enough steam to accelerate to freeway speed, since the Lark is about 2900 rpm or thereabouts at 65-70 mph on it's 3.31, but since this has a 3.73 with a 3spd/OD, I may be moving much faster than that at when it gets around to 3300 rpm.

Comment

Working...
            X