Attention Skybolt 6 Owners-especially 63 & 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Attention Skybolt 6 Owners-especially 63 & 64

When I recieved my Zip Van one of the first things I noticed was a broken alternator bracket. No real biggie I thought. I happen to know of a 64 Skybolt 6 parked at the Pick-A-Part yard in San Bernardino. Well today I went there on the quest of getting said bracket. I carefully removed the front 9/16ths bolt, then the rear 1/2 inch bolt (head sizes). I had forgotten to bring a socket so all had to be removed by wrench. Upon removal of the middle 9/16ths bolt it revealed that this bracket too was broken-split in half but hidden from view due to the motor mount bracket obsuring the split from view.

I would recomend all owners of the OHV 6's check their alternator bracket. I'm not familiar with the design of the 61 & 62 generator brackets, but if they are similar, then they too would be wise to inspect. I suggest a gusset between the upper portion of the bracket down to the end. On the alternator bracket there is a "dip/curved" area where the breaks seem to take place. I have tried to get a replacement bracket from a couple of known places but nobody had one. I thought I'd post my findings & let all be mindful of a potential problem. Nobody wants to find out on the road far from home.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

I found that S.I. has new brackets at the South Bend location. It would be interesting to see if the design was changed to prevent the crack from occuring.
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Kelly (kmac530) came over today & welded my bracket. He built up the radius at the top of the horizontal part with a build up of weld to add strength to that section where it appears the bracket starts to crack. When it cracks it continues to the front bolt hole that also holds the motor mount, then continues down to the bottom. Like I said in the first post, this crack is not visible unless you remove the motor mount bracket. I would suggest loosening the motor mount bolt, raise the engine just enough to take pressure off the bracket, then loosen the bracket (2 bolts-9/16ths head) & grab the alternator & see if it moves or comes off in your hand! Just in case it is broken remove the grount strap on the battery first.

Looking at the picture in the shop manual (a bad picture at best) it appears that generator equipped engines by having the length of the generator & the back pivot further back would have a lot less chance of breakage. On the alternator equipped engines though almost the entire weight of the alternator is forward of all bolts holding the bracket. Hope this helps someone from being stranded far from home. (or even worse, an electical failure/fire)

thanks again Kelly for all you did !!
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Today I saw this picture of the 6 cylinder engine equipped with an alternator in the book "Studebaker Lark 1959-1966 Photo Archive" on page 59. Just below the alternator on the forward bolt for the motor mount you can get an idea how little material there is between the top of the bracket & the bolt hole. I measure .123 between the hole & the edge on a brand new bracket I just received ! I am sure that if this was found on a newer vehicle that a recall would be put out.
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
        X