Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Auto trans rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto trans rebuild

Just had Ed's 63 Cruiser's trans rebuilt. around 120.00 for all parts kit with clutch's + 300.00 for labor and 145.00 for convertor rebuild.
    so 565.00 total.
    About right ?
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Bargin in this day.

Comment

I wouldn't know, as my local transmission guy claims "you can't get parts for those" but that sounds eminently reasonable. If the trans works well, be nice to the guy!

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Tack on another 1000 dollars & I think you will be "about right". The
        price sounds rediculously cheap. As mentioned, be nice to that guy!

Just a transmission "service" these days runs about 100 bucks!

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Kdancy,
          Did you remove the tranny, or did the shop do it ALL for $300? If they did, that WAS a steal considering what's involved in removing the convertor[xx(] If that is the case, as Tom said, be REEEEL nice to that man
          Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I am doing a frame off on the cruiser and had the trans already out. He did pick it up and deliver it back to my shop. He is a young man and has a very good reputation for automatic trans repair. The trans was totally rebuilt and he sent the convertor to a speciality shop where they took it apart and re-built it.

53commander HDTP
            53 Champion HDTP
            61 Cursed Purple Hawk
            64 Champ long bed V8
            64 GT
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Just yeaterday, a friend from Hagerstown, MD, told me he was charged $403.00 for a local shop to replace the rear seal and detent shaft seal, in his 63 GT Hawk....
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I had my tranny rebuilt about 2 years ago by a local shop, here in the St. Louis Metro area. He removed, rebuilt, and re-installed it for $750.00. So far no problems.

Studebaker Fever
                60 Lark
                51 Champion
                Phil
                Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                60 Lark
                56 Power Hawk
                Phil Hendrickson
                Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Sounds about right to me. I might coulda got it dome a bit cheaper in Los Angeles, but not more than say a hundred or so.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X