heat riser valve spacer replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: heat riser valve spacer replacement

Got the engine parts in from S.I. so should be able to start building the engine soon and have it back in the Hawk shortly!!!

The problem is that the heat riser valve is actually cracked in half and obviously will not seal the exhaust gases. I have an Edelbrock with electric choke, so really don't need the heat riser valve. Would like to replace it with a spacer of some type. Does anyone make such a thing or should I go to the custom exhaust shop or try to have one made? I guess I could go to the custom exhaust shop with the old valve in place and have them extend the exhaust pipe. What to do!!??
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

To: mjeansonne,---- Well, if the Hawk is going to be operated in cold weather at all, it still would be nice to have a working heat riser valve in place. That would warm the entire carb base. Maybe You should just replace it with a new one.
    If You don't want to do that, I think I'd go the extended pipe route before I'd play around with a spacer.

Comment

mjeansonne,
      Don Simmons of silvertone exhaust sells a spacer for eliminating the heat riser. I purchased one with my exhaust system last year, and have since decided to use a heat riser.
      Mornings and evenings can be cool here, even in the summer. In Louisianna you probably don't need a riser.
      If you're interested in my spacer it's yours for $5.00 plus postage. P M me your email and address if interested.
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I have a spacer in my R-1 Hawk with Silvertone ss exhaust.......the spacer was purchased from Jon Myer. I see no need for the riser I have a 1403 Edelbrock on the car....and even with winter temps do not miss it or a 180 'stat for that matter:-)
        Originally posted by mjeansonne View Post
        Got the engine parts in from S.I. so should be able to start building the engine soon and have it back in the Hawk shortly!!!

The problem is that the heat riser valve is actually cracked in half and obviously will not seal the exhaust gases. I have an Edelbrock with electric choke, so really don't need the heat riser valve. Would like to replace it with a spacer of some type. Does anyone make such a thing or should I go to the custom exhaust shop or try to have one made? I guess I could go to the custom exhaust shop with the old valve in place and have them extend the exhaust pipe. What to do!!??

Comment

Thanks for the information!!

I should note that I replaced the heat riser valve last year because it was broken in half and when I pulled the engine this year, the new one was broken in half also. Don't know why. Don't have one in my 63 Champ and don't seem to miss it. This Louisiana... it doesn't get cold here much. My 20 year old daughter has only seen snow twice!! It only got down below 32 degrees about two nights this year and that wasn't below 30!! Heat is the real problem... one of the reasons for rebuilding the Hawk engine.
          Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

you might want to check the outlet on the ex. manifold and make sure it is flat.Since it has broken 2 heat risers something is causing this.

Comment

Mike, PM sent.
              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Working...
              X