Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clip

hi; please dont think me a heretic as i have owned 5 stockers. this is my question! i purchased a rusty 57 silver hawk and will be using a firebird front clip i need the place to cut the 57s frame. this car will be driven daily with a big smile and pride in the marque. roll on. i have a gmail--stude13@gmail.com

I've never done this, but recently I did see an attempt to graft a Camaro clip to a '53 Coupe. The clip was wider than the Stude frame so it was just welded to the outside of the cutoff Stude frame. Probably THE WORST attempt I have ever seen to change the front suspension on a Stude. Needless to say, the project was abandoned some time ago and the Stude was essentially ruined.

This is not to say that yours would be the same. Just measure very carefully to insure the Firebird clip has the proper dimensions to even think about such a swap. Just because the Firebird clip might be available doesn't mean it will actually work in your specific application.

If it does measure out, you still have a whole mountain of other fabrication issues to deal with. Think it through carefully. Find someone who has actually done the same swap successfully. Don't reinvent the wheel if possible.

Also, ask yourself WHY you want to do such a swap. A rebuilt Stude front end is a good independent suspension, disk brakes are available for it, I personally don't believe a clip is worth the trouble (and it's A LOT of trouble)...no advantages that I can see (and I'm a hot rodder [:0])

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

hi dick; thank you for the reply. it just rained on my parade but it was a drizzle. i will go stock again. ill run the 259 3sp over. thanks stude13

Comment

You will find that the clip will be slightly wider than what you have now. Some like to cut a strip right out of the center of the clip and weld it back together.
        Another alternative is to leave the clip width alone and run narrowed a-arms (Fatman Fab $750 pr)...
        For what this is going to cost you, you could have your stock front end rebuilt with new Turner disc brakes, springs, shocks, sway bar, and a keg of beer for the party you would throw when it is back out on the street....
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by stude13

hi; please dont think me a heretic as i have owned 5 stockers. this is my question! i purchased a rusty 57 silver hawk and will be using a firebird front clip i need the place to cut the 57s frame. this car will be driven daily with a big smile and pride in the marque. roll on. i have a gmail--stude13@gmail.com

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
        Brooklet, Georgia
        '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
        '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
        '61 Hawk (project)
        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Or there is the Art Morrison frame ...... rather then cutting stuff.

Art Morrison makes a frame for the C/K body, which since Studebaker
          used very similar frame under almost all models, could be adapted to
          fit a number of cars. This frame uses a Corvette front suspension and
          a 4 link rear suspension. It will basically update your car to a new
          car mechanicals. Thats the way to go in MY mind for a clean install.
          I would also bet the cost would be considerably cheaper in the end.

http://nelson-motorsports.com/studebaker.htm

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Fifteen grand plus by the time you are done is cheaper in the end?
            Which end?
            It is a nice setup.
            Ask them where he got all the datum line info on the Stude chassis...
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Or there is the Art Morrison frame ...... rather then cutting stuff.
            Art Morrison makes a frame for the C/K body, which since Studebaker
            used very similar frame under almost all models, could be adapted to
            fit a number of cars. This frame uses a Corvette front suspension and
            a 4 link rear suspension. It will basically update your car to a new
            car mechanicals. Thats the way to go in MY mind for a clean install.
            I would also bet the cost would be considerably cheaper in the end.
            Tom

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

I didnt see the 15 grand for the frame listed. Sorry.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

No, no Tom...
                Don't take it wrong...
                Morrison's stuff is real nice indeed... And the price for a complete roller chassis is proof positive..
                We all cringe at the $75,000 prices that some cars bring, but we don't really connect on 'how' the price gets up there....
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

I didnt see the 15 grand for the frame listed. Sorry.

Tom

Jeff

Comment

I have always wanted a 63-67 Corvette, and have been looking at kit
                  cars that pop up from time to time. A buddy who is a Corvette nut
                  sent me a couple links for frames similar to Art's. They use a 4th
                  Gen Corvette suspension. The frame is around 4000-5000 bucks, then it
                  needs the suspension. Sure you can buy all new parts, and jump the
                  price of the build to 75,000 dollars, but you can also do some legwork
                  and drop that cost dramatically. He quoted a similar price for the
                  63 Vette mentioned above, but if you bought a running late 80s Vette,
                  preferably wrecked, but usable, you would have pretty much everything
                  you need to build the car after buying the frame. Figure 5000 for the
                  frame plus 8000 to 10,000 for the totalled Vette. He also quoted a
                  5,0000 to 10,000 dollar paint job, but since I would want to use it as
                  a track car - Earl's $800 dollar urethane would do just fine! I see
                  no reason to dump the stock stuff personally, but chopping the frame
                  rails off to tuck a floating subframe welded to a full frame seems a
                  bit dodgy to me. Especially since the Camaro suspension isnt going to
                  get you THAT much over stock. If you are going to spend the money to
                  get that involved, swap the whole frame and sell the original one to
                  someone restoring a Stude to reclaim some of you costs.

Thats were I was going in "less" cost. I honestly dont know how much
                  the Art Morrison frame is.

Tom

Comment

Along those lines, I like the show "Wrecks to Riches"... they supposedly scrounge up a shabby body, gut it, add all BN body panels, all new crate drivetrain, all new suspension in boxes, all new glass and trim, and all new pro interior, and show paint- about 3 weeks start to finish; then take it to auction and "hope" they break even...[|)] Somehow they always manage to, and make $20k clear profit-..... WHEW, thank Heavens, escaped again.......

Not very realistic, but entertaining just the same...

Although it would be fun to do one like that once- just buy everything BN and slap it on...............[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

If you want to convert something to something take a look at the ads and articles in NSRA's magazine (National Street Rod Assoc.) and GoodGuys Gazette for information. Both street rod organizations are on line and invite bone stock and modified Studebakers to their events. Their magazines usually have Stude. photos. DesMoines GoodGuys is this week, so come and see the Studebakers, and vendors for converting something to something or decide on plain stock. I have both stock and modified. Stock is much easier to deal with. Modified takes more thought and planning. There will be 3,000 modifieds in Des Moines of one brand or another. Louisville will have 11,000 modifieds in attendance. NSRA, West Allis Wi, July 13-15 ; GoodGuys, July 13-15 Columbus OH. Other shows are on-line.....................Brad

Comment

wow; you guys are teriffic. it has been mind expanding without the spine tremors. stude13

Comment

hi guys; im a normal rodder, old and broke. thanks stude13

Comment

Hi guys, Craig Morrison here, if I can answer any questions about our products, please just let me know! Our next in-house project is going to be a 53 Commander and it will be covered in Rod and Custom. The 53-54's have been real hot item the past few months as we have built 6 or so custom frames for these cars. Here are some "before" shots and a few rendering ideas.

It's going to be a fun project, and I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a few Stude related questions along the way.

Have a great day!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by CraigMorrison

Hi guys, Craig Morrison here, if I can answer any questions about our products, please just let me know! Our next in-house project is going to be a 53 Commander and it will be covered in Rod and Custom. The 53-54's have been real hot item the past few months as we have built 6 or so custom frames for these cars. Here are some "before" shots and a few rendering ideas.

and I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a few Stude related questions along the way.
                              Welcome aboard, Craig! [8D].

I'm sure you will get all your Stude related questions addressed here. We'd love to help with this project. Publicity like this Rod and Custom series does nothing but good for the SDC and our hobby.

Morrison is located right here in the Pacific Northwest...

http://www.artmorrison.com/

They have gone out on a BIG limb to produce C/K frames and complete chassis. The good news is, they are selling them . My buddy Keith Christensen in Mt. Vernon has just taken delivery on one for his '53 hardtop project. I've seen the chassis and let me tell you that Morrison's work is absolutely first class [].

Some of you know Bob Wooldridge's pro street '53 coupe...

Bob is running an Art Morrison chassis under this beautiful Studebaker.

Craig, are you guys going to have a display at Good Guys Puyallup next week?

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X