Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagonaire Sliding Roof Seal...what to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    The proper weatherseals are available from Studebaker International. You will want 1 - 1361471 Weatherseal, Front & Sides, which is an improved design over the original 1351634. Also, order 1 - 1353898 Seal, Corner - Right and 1 - 1353899 Seal, Corner - Left. .
    Thanks, Jerry!

In addition to the 1353898 and 3899 seals (right front corner and left front corner), the parts manual also lists 1351626 and 1627 WEATHERSTRIP, right (and left) rear corner. Are these no longer needed with the improved 1361471?
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
      Studebaker engineers, in their infinite wisdom, terminated the forward drain tubes inside the rocker panels at the front, and inside the rear quarter panels at the rear. Just what the body needs, eh, a whole more water dumped inside closed spaces with little or no rust-proofing?

You can make it more better. Use a step drill or hole saw to make a 3/4" hole in the inward-facing vertical panel....
      Thanks for the tip, Gord. Will do!
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
        Thanks, Jerry!

In addition to the 1353898 and 3899 seals (right front corner and left front corner), the parts manual also lists 1351626 and 1627 WEATHERSTRIP, right (and left) rear corner. Are these no longer needed with the improved 1361471?
        If you can get them, it can't hurt to replace them. I used to replace them as part of the roof re-sealing job, but I never felt they were a big contributor to the leakage.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          The proper weatherseals are available from Studebaker International. You will want 1 - 1361471 Weatherseal, Front & Sides, which is an improved design over the original 1351634. Also, order 1 - 1353898 Seal, Corner - Right and 1 - 1353899 Seal, Corner - Left. The sliding roof feature is actually very sturdy, well engineered, and easy to use. All the discussion about leaking means just one thing - and that is weatherseals get old, whether on doors, trunks, or sliding roofs! When I was a college student I used to work part-time for Courtesy Motors Studebaker in Corvallis, OR and one of my specialties was installing the new and improved weatherseal in Wagonaires that were then just a few years old. I tested each car with a blast from a water hose and they did not leak! It is useful to have Service Letter F-1963-1, titled "WATER LEAK CORRECTIONS - WAGONAIRE MODELS." I recall there was also a service letter that superceeded this one, but I don't have a copy of it.
          Here is F-1963-1. I don't have one that supercedes it either.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
          X