Mcculloch Supercharger Interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Mcculloch Supercharger Interchange

Looking at at VS-57, I have come across a SN-60. Looking at the pictures, I see some differences. Would the SN-60 be an option for a 289 Golden Hawk? Appreciate any eduction out there. Thanks!
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '57 Golden Hawk
    '51 Champion

To: Garywala,----- The SN-60 wasn't an option in '57 -'58. It actually didn't exist in those years except maybe in someone's mind. It should interchange though, once You 'clock' the scroll housing - and come up with a '63 -'64
    R-2 Lark or Hawk (top mount) drive pulley.

Comment

I understand the "clocking", but is it as easy as just changing out the pulley then?
      '57 Silver Hawk
      '57 Golden Hawk
      '51 Champion

Comment

To:Garywala,------- Double check Me on this, but I'm quite sure the factory '63 - '64 Lark or Hawk pulley, (for the top mount blower system), installed on an SN-60, will put the supercharger drive belt in the same
        'plane' (alignment) with the crank and idler pulleys, as it would be if the VS-57 were installed. (clear as mud?)

Comment

Clear as mud....maybe. I understand what you are saying. My next question would be, is the SN-60 any more reliable then? I don't anticipate many miles on the car, nor hard driving.
          '57 Silver Hawk
          '57 Golden Hawk
          '51 Champion

Comment

To;Garywala,------ The critical assembly in both style superchargers is the drive element. and there are differing opinions on how to keep it intact. On the one hand the SN-60 may be more reliable, as improvements were made to it's
            internal oil pump to keep the drive element happy. On the other hand, the VS-57, when set up correctly, is turning slower when blower boost is not called for. (due to it's vari-ratio pulley) This ability to turn slower at cruise lessens
            stress on the drive element (turning slower) thereby keeping it happy in a different way. As You know the VS-57 is correct for a Golden Hawk. In My opinion stick with the VS-57.

Comment

Working...
            X