No announcement yet.

Conversion of the 56 ultramatic transmission to the th400 for the 56j

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, the Packard V8 is about 4" longer than a Studebaker V8, but not appreciably heavier. I've installed them in everything Studebaker has built since '53; C/K, Larks, C-cabs, T-cabs. They all were stronger, more expensive and less economical. Life is about tradeoffs.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Yes, I think StudeDave57 will be leaving the Packard engine in the Packard!!!

Comment

Originally posted by R2Andy View Post
        Studebaker Engineering was looking at using the Packard V8 in their trucks. I've seen some DSN drawings showing the 352 in the larger mid '50s truck chassis.
        It just seems like such a natural modification- don't it?
        So now the question is- do I do it? Time will tell...

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        These Diesel engines are constantly being installed in a variety of chassis with a good selection of transmissions and task related gear trains.
        If you are planning on a serious performing upgrade to the bus...investigate late model diesels.
        This is another thought I've had. I think I'd also be looking into what suspension upgrades I could get outta the deal. I'd hope for better brakes and differential for staters.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        I've installed them in everything Studebaker has built since '53; C/K, Larks, C-cabs, T-cabs.
        But they'd fit- that was my biggest question. The way I see it- knowing they'd fit into a Lark tells me that they'd also fit into a '57 sedan. You see, besides the bus, Dad just happens to have an engineless Broadmoor...

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        Yes, I think StudeDave57 will be leaving the Packard engine in the Packard!!!
        Uhhh- what? My Packard is a '58, and as such has a Stude 289. Not to say that I have never thought about putting a Packard V8 under her hood...

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I always thought a Packard engine, (A 'REAL' Packard engine 320, 352, or 374 StudeDave), in a '58 Packard Hawk would be interesting! Of course, something would have to be done about the Twin-Ultramatic.

Comment

Working...
          X