Control Valve Seal Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Control Valve Seal Kit?

Can some one please confirm how many parts should be in the rebuild kit for a 63' Avanti Power Steering Control Valve? Kit I received seems incomplete and unable to get hold of person who I bought it from at the moment. Already removed the valve and and want to get my car on the road again. Please help!

IIRC, mine had a single "O" ring in it, there isn't much else that needs to be/can be replaced. It is basically a spool valve that uses metal to metal sealing in the valve itself.

Comment

Two identical O rings, which have to be oriented in particular (opposite) directions, and a couple of dust covers. It's the O rings that count.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

The original Stude. Repair kits did have a new metal dust shield and a square rubber grease seal along with the 2 needed Piston Seals. No one ever used the exterior parts, because it is too much trouble to disassemble the control valve from the reach rod for little gain.
        The new kits now have only the needed parts; the 2 Seals.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Two o-rings on each side of the spool valve. One easy to install, the other,... be careful. Use a tooth pick to insert the edge of the o-ring. Keep it really clean and use transmission fluid to lubricate the o-ring. It's a terrible thing to install the o-rings and have them fail a week or so later. I am so fed up with mine on the Hawk that i bought a NOS unit for my Hawk last summer. Best of luck stopping the leak.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

What is the difference between the Studebaker and Ford power steering control valve back in the 60s? I can't see any difference.
            Last edited by Carl Purdy; 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

same design but the seals are different. At least that was my experience when I purchased a NAPA kit for a ford control valve. I don't recall the specifics I just remember I wasn't able to use it and had to get a kit specifically for the Studebaker.
              Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
              What is the difference between the Studebaker and Ford power steering control valve back in the 60s? I can't see any difference.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

The reason I ask is I got a complete kit ball cups sleeve and springs for my wife's 65 Ford and I went by Bob Johnstones web site to rebuild it. It even had the new sets for the lines.

Comment

Working...
                X