Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

GT Hawk Gas Gauge Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk Gas Gauge Wiring

I'm having a problem with the gas gauge on my 1963 R2 GT Hawk.
    I'm not sure if I have the wires hooked up correctly. I looked
    at the wiring diagram, but it didn't help much.[xx(]
    On the back of the gauge are the two terminals that mount the
    gauge to the "mounting box" and there is a terminal between
    those two and one above the middle one. My wiring choices are
    red w/ black, white w/black and all white. All three wires have
    the type of ends that slide onto the terminal.
    Thank you in advance for helping me with this problem.
    Terry Stinehelfer
    Bucyrus, OH

The 63 Hawk wiring diagram shows a red-black wire going back to the sender, a red-white to ground, and white -black coming from the ignition switch and carrying +12 volts. Notice the two threaded studs on the back, toward the sides. These are part of the case and for mounting , but may have the red-white wire pushed on after install to get a better ground.
    The white-black, 12 volt wire goes to the top, insulated, lug. The red-black goes to the other insulated stud.
    The way the fuel gauge kinda works is that current supplied by the 12 volts wire goes through a heater coil on a bi- metallic element. The current passes out on the red-black going back to the rheostat (changes resistance as float arm moves).
    If you have a voltmeter, first check that the 12 volts is getting into one of the insulated posts and the other post has the wire going to the sender. A good idea is to run a short wire from one of the sender mounting screws to the chassis--helps get a better ground.
    ...Dick

The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Comment

Working...
    X