No announcement yet.

What to do for a V8 fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: What to do for a V8 fuel pump?

What are you guys using for a dependable mechanical V8 fuel pump?

Call Phil Harris and get an R 1 pump.

Ted

Comment

Stay away from Airtex 4227's -----even if someone gives You one free!

Comment

I've had and Airtex in my Hawk for over two years now with no problems. I've only been using non-ethanol gas however.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Small block Mopar Carter with two piece valve body.....modify the arm......presto-chango.....viola!
          From Summit....just a couple of miles from you Matt.
          Part # GM6270
          Last edited by bezhawk; 02-23-2012, 07:48 PM.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

JDP put a new airtex on my wagon, and just like the other airtex pumps I've had, it squirts oil out of the little vent hole. I must've went through half a dozen of them on my old '58. At least they had a warranty and replacing them every few months wasn't a big deal. But the wagon has power steering, making the pump a little tougher to get to.

Ted, I had forgotten that Phil sells the Mopar pumps converted to Studes. I'll call and have him bring one to York. Thanks! Problem solved.

Brad, Summit is about a half hour drive and I could probably find my way there with my eyes closed. I do plan on paying a visit after York to snag a set of these:

Last edited by mbstude; 02-23-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

To confirm, Matthew: I put a Phil-Harris-modified MoPar pump on my vapor-lock-plagued 1964 Daytona Sedan last year and rerouted the fuel line (all steel, of course) outside the might-as-well-be-a-heat sink power steering pump. "No problem" since. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Matt, I've had my eye on a set of Rocket wheels just like you have shown for my Hawk. Has anyone had these on a Stude yet? I'm afraid of buying a set and then finding that they dont fit properly.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

mbstude very nice wheels who made them??

Comment

If they'll fit on my wagon, I think they'll fit a C/K. The rear on the wagon has less clearance than almost any other Stude, so I'm told.

They're from these guys: http://www.rocketracingwheels.com/

Comment

Anxious to see if those wheels fit--keep us posted. I'd been looking at American Racing Salt Flat Specials--but these are very similar and less expensive to boot.
                      Dave Nevin
                      Corvallis, OR
                      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I've been rebuilding the original Carter pumps using kits with modern materials as I don't like the quality of the later manufacture pumps. I've been buying used original pumps whenever I find one just to keep as spares. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                          I've been rebuilding the original Carter pumps using kits with modern materials as I don't like the quality of the later manufacture pumps. I've been buying used original pumps whenever I find one just to keep as spares. Bud
                          I allowed a "friend" to rebuild the engine in my Wagonaire (very long story). When he had it all back together he couldn't get gas to the carb so his solution was to cut the wire to the left horn, remove it from the inner fender and install an electric pump. Instead of using a blocking plate he took off my freshly rebuilt original Carter pump, sawed off the arm and re-installed it as a backing plate. Needless to say, the electric pump worked very poorly there. The actual problem was a pin hole in the rubber line from the tank- not enough to leak when sitting, but enough to suck air when running.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I just put a new SI #1562992 fuel pump on my 64 259CI, cost $50 plus shipping, works great, no oil leaks.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
                            55 Speedster (in work)
                            63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
                            64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
                            64 Avanti R2 (completed)
                            85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
                            89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              JDP put a new airtex on my wagon, and just like the other airtex pumps I've had, it squirts oil out of the little vent hole. I must've went through half a dozen of them on my old '58. At least they had a warranty and replacing them every few months wasn't a big deal. But the wagon has power steering, making the pump a little tougher to get to.

Ted, I had forgotten that Phil sells the Mopar pumps converted to Studes. I'll call and have him bring one to York. Thanks! Problem solved.

Brad, Summit is about a half hour drive and I could probably find my way there with my eyes closed. I do plan on paying a visit after York to snag a set of these:
                              Matt

I've looked at those wheels as a choice for my Avanti but I think they only come in a couple of offsets that may be questionable for my application. They will probably be a more favorable fit on your wagon as I'm going to quite wide tires. Just be sure to check your needs. They will look great!!!

Keep up the great work and keep posting.

Well done, Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X