push rods & lifters, V8 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: push rods & lifters, V8 motor

I needed some push rods & lifters for a 62 289 V8. I have a '55 224 V8 from a truck that has been lying around a few years. I had read that from 55 thru 64 the V8s used the same lifter, so I thought I could take the lifters & maybe the push rods from the 224 and use them. However, the lifters from the 224 were about 1" in diameter, and the bore in the 62 289 was closer to nine tenths of an inch. So the 224 lifters were too big. Assuming I find the right lifters, I'm wondering if I can use the 224 push rods. Once I get lifters and put them in the block I can see if the push-rods work, but I'm wondering if first anyone out there knows if the push rod length changed frpm '55 to '62. Anybody know? -thanks

Interesting. I've heard there was some overlap between the 232" and the 224" on lifter diameter. I'd like to see the lifters to confirm what they looked like.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

You shouldn't use used lifters, or swap lifters between engines, unless you match them to the lobes of the cam . The same lifter should ride the same lobe.
      Most cam grinding companys also have the ability to reface lifters, and it is good practice to reface them if they are going in a different engine.
      You will destroy all your efforts by wiping out the cam, and sending metal shavings throughout the engine.
      I don't know if the push rods were changed in later engines.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
        I needed some push rods & lifters for a 62 289 V8. I have a '55 224 V8 from a truck that has been lying around a few years. I had read that from 55 thru 64 the V8s used the same lifter, so I thought I could take the lifters & maybe the push rods from the 224 and use them. However, the lifters from the 224 were about 1" in diameter, and the bore in the 62 289 was closer to nine tenths of an inch. So the 224 lifters were too big. Assuming I find the right lifters, I'm wondering if I can use the 224 push rods. Once I get lifters and put them in the block I can see if the push-rods work, but I'm wondering if first anyone out there knows if the push rod length changed frpm '55 to '62. Anybody know? -thanks

I have lots of lifters and push rods and can get the lifters surfaced for you also, right now I have 5 cams getting ground to R-1 and need to take some lifters over and match the cams so each cam will have new lifters when sold.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

The push Rod lengths are all over the place, from '55 to '62, you need to use a known set of matching Rocker Arm STANDS and Push Rods from the SAME YEAR of Engine, or get the specs to match them.

The 1961 and on Rocker Arm SHAFTS are preferred over the earlier ones, because the Rocker Oil holes are smaller to reduce excess Oil buildup in the Heads, and increase Oil Pressure.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, please fill me in some as I need to get some ready to go, how do I tell ?
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

If you mean the Shafts, maybe Ted or someone has the wire or drill size to check them with.

If you are talking about the Push Rods, they have to be measured, and someone here or maybe the Bob Johnstone Website would have the Lengths, they vary a lot, by a small amount, but do make a difference.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My notes are:

'51 to early '60 have 5/32" longer adjusting screws in the rocker arms.

1951- early '60 pushrod (variable lengths) 11-3/16” 11.171875" to 11.21875"
                late 1960 -'64 - 11-11/32” or 11.328125"-11.375" p/n 1550303

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                X