No announcement yet.

Rear Axle offset to one side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear Axle offset to one side.

I know this was discussed some time back but I can't locate the thread. Why were the rear axles off set in the hawks?
    I know the pinon is not centered in the chunk, but the spring perches could have been welded on to reflect this. I am thinking about cutting and moving the spring perch over 7/8" to center the pinion and driveshaft. As it is now, the passenger side is very close to the wheel well housing and the drivers side is 1 3/4"" away.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

If you do your drive shaft will vibrate. All of them that I have ran across has been that way.

Comment

If you are talking about the Outboard side of the wheelwell (Fender) clearance, loosen the "U" Bolts and re-position the Rear Axle Housing on the Springs 3/4 inch to the left.

If it is the Inboard side, you have the wrong width rear axle.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        If you are talking about the Outboard side of the wheelwell (Fender) clearance, loosen the "U" Bolts and re-position the Rear Axle Housing on the Springs 3/4 inch to the left.

If it is the Inboard side, you have the wrong width rear axle.
        Yes, fender clearance. The spring perch welded to the axle housing, has a center hole that fits over the "tit" on the leaf spring. That prevents you from just moving the axle over to center without pushing the leaf spring that way as well.
        64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Go ahead and center it up. And when you start losing u joints and pick up a vibrations let me know. They were all that way I don't think it was that much. I know that nobody reads what I say because I am not a qualified expert.

Comment

Well, this all very interesting because my Hawk is just the opposite. The passenger side has more clearance than the drivers side. I wonder which way is correct or does it make any difference. Mine has apparently been this way for 86,000 miles with no problems andd I guess if it ain't broke I better not try to fix it.

Comment

I just measured from the frame rail to the fender lip on this Hawk and on a 53 Commander HDTP junker. Both have more space (3/4") on the passenger side then on the drivers side. Even more with the tires and wheels on measuring from the edge of the tires over to the fender lip. That is three hdtps ,53-57-58, that have measured out that way.
              It's not so much a matter of it being broken, more of an issue with custom wheels and tires fitting into the wheel well and not rubbing on one side.
              64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Don't know what wheels you plan on using but I'm running 215/75's on Dodge wheels and have ample clearance on both sides although the driver side is pretty close. Not much more than 1/2 inch I would guess.

Comment

64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Working...
                  X