Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Clutch Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Help?

I have a 1956 Studebaker Commander with a clutch problem. I just bought the car and have only driven it about 600 miles and I have noticed a change in the clutch. The guy that built it had it set up so the pedel had no free play so the clutch was on top with about 1/2 inch from when it starts to disengage and when it is fully disengaged. The clutch never slipped at this point, but I was finding it very hard to drive. I played with the linkage and now the peddel goes down about 3/4 inch before it begians to disengage, but I still find it almost impossible to let it out easy. Now I have found that the clutch still does not slip when starting out in first but now if I'm rolling in first at about say five mph and hit the gas peddel the car jumps and jerks like maybe the clutch is slipping. I have also found that the car has never wanted to downshift into first if it is moving. Every other gear is fine when up shifting or down shifting. Is this a bad clutch, pressure plate, exe.. or is it adjustment. If I do need to replace anything is there another option like a ford clutch set up. I found that the 1956 259 with the T-86 has a clutch that seems to be non available.[V] Napa told me that they can get one listed for a 289, but nothing for a 259. I just bought a 289, could any parts from that be used to update the 259 to run the available clutch? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Don

You should have more free travel then you have, it sounds like bad adjustment or a worn out disk. Most Studebaker vendors can sell you all the clutch parts. You can not downshift into first while moving on a 3 speed Studebaker. (well you can, but it takes skill)

Studebaker On The Net
    http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
    Arnold Md.
    65 Sports Sedan(sold)
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    63 Daytona HT
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT(parts car)
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    52 Starliner(sold)
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Donald,

Does this car have overdrive??? Sound to me like you're describing a car that's got the OD handle pushed in and it's opeating like it should, but you're just not familiar with how the overdrive functions.
      As JDP says, there's no syncro on 1st gear, so no moving downshift unless maybe you can teach yourself how to "double clutch" like drivers used to do in the 20s & 30s - before synchronized gear boxes were the norm.

I'd start out with adjusting the clutch before you just start throwing parts at it. It's pretty easy to do.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Yes, It does have the overdrive but the handle is pulled out. All the wire for the OD is disconected and the OD failed to do anything when I pushed the handle in. (unless it is stuck in OD) I have the engine working a bit at 60 mph in third.

I had a 1948 Ford 3/4 ton that had to be double clutched, I sold it because it was so hard to drive and I had bought a 1951 GMC 1/2 ton. This was before I became a Studebaker guy and now I'm happy. [^] I'm new to the hobby and I'm learning as I go, so all this help is great!

I will try to adjust the clutch today and drive it to town before I buy any parts. Now I understand the grinding into first when I downshift. Could the jerking in first be because first is so low, I have found the car starts out in second gear smoother then in first just like my old 1948 Ford 3/4 and my friends 1950 Ford 3/4 HD. Is it ok to start a Studebaker in second?
        Thanks,
        Don

1951 (GMC 1/2 ton[:0])
        1953 Champion 2-door Sedan
        1956 Commander 4-door Sedan

Comment

This sounds exaclty like me the first time I drove my Dad's 64 Studebaker Wagonaire. It's a 3 speed without overdrive. It was the first stick shift I'd ever driven without it. The same thing happened with me. I couldn't start off smoothly to save my life. With Overdrive, I do just fine. I've mastered that one!
          And yes, you can start off in 2nd gear. I do it all the time. [8D]

Comment

16 years old, WOW! People find it strange that I'm driving Studebakers at the age of 24 and not some muscle or sports car. You must realy get a reaction from people.

This is great to here something positive about my car verses the negitive views of the local car club. They all drive stuff from the big three and most of them have all their work done for them. They all say I have a poor clutch and I need to replace the intire setup. When I was burning oil they told me the engine had to be overhauled and when my wheels wabeled they siad I needed new rims. The car had not ran for 20 some years and after about 500 miles she stoped burning oil and after a wheel balance the wheels look good going down the road. I wounder what kind of money those poor guys spend fixing stuff that realy does not need fixing.

Good to have help from Stude people,
            Don

1953 Champion (project in my garage)
            1956 Commander (on the road)

Comment

Donald,

Welcome to our cadre.

After you get things adjusted properly, you really should get the overdrive wired and operating. We can help with that and, I gaurantee, you're going to love the way it runs; good fuel economy on the highway at whatever speed your suspension is comfortable with.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              33 Rockne 10
              51 Commander Starlight
              53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Overdrive is fun. It was very interesting to learn all about it from my husband on how to drive the 49 Champion. I always downshifted to help brake. It was strange that using overdrive it doesn't hold you back. And yes he told me about the lockout lever. When we first got the 49 of coarse overdrive wasn't working. So he put a toggle switch in I flipped the switch for overdrive. Then as he fixed the ways to use it changed. Seems like every repair new instructions. So now it works when I let off the gas after 30 mph it kicks in. Well in between all of the different instructions he said something about turning it off before you stop. Well I remembered that kinda sluggish on take off. But the corker was I went to Kragen's parts store parked up against the concrete stop, put it faithfully in reverse, pulled the emergency brake. Ok I come out Try to put it reverse won't go. I try everything I can think of. Somewhere in the back of my mind is something he said about reverse and leaving on overdrive. Shoot won't push backward, won't rock, tried 110 degrees outside nobody speaks english. Well you get the picture. Finally someone understands a little just enough to help me push her back just about 6 inches is all it took.
                Then everything was fine again. I tell this story for education, a good laugh for you guys. Also as an ongoing project how the instructions change of an in progress car. A Studebaker Teaches You Patience. It Slows you down to appreciate the finer things in life,
                the simpler things, it lowers blood pressure if you let it. Just remember to breathe along the way.
                Sincerely
                Anne

Mabel 1949 Champion
                1957 Silverhawk
                1955 Champion
                Mabel 1949 Champion
                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                The Prez 1955 President State
                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                Fresno,Ca

Comment

Donald, maybe as you say, it's just that you're not used to the low gearing of this car. The cars fitted with overdrive tend to have really low gears in the rear axle. This is a cool feature of O/D-equipped cars![^] The low rear gears allow for some really zippy takeoffs while the Overdrive allows for your engine to loaf along at 70MPH (which, of course, you're not enjoying now since your O/D is out of commission.)
                  Fix that O/D and your first gear takeoffs will be LOTS smoother because of the "free-wheeling" function when O/D is engaged.
                  IF you noticed NO difference with the handle pushed in - two things come to mind. One: the cable's not actuating the O/D lever near the rear of the transmission OR it's actuating it, but just not completely. It has to push that lever ALL the way towards the rear to allow the free wheeling function to work (and this free-wheeling works whether the wiring is there or not). TWO: Someone's replaced the O/D transmission with a straight 3-speed version of the T-86 you should have.
                  You're gonna love this car ALOT more (and make your BIG 3 friends envious) once you get the O/D working.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This forum is great and I have also joined the Studebaker Drivers Club. I will go out today and adjust that clutch and wire up the OD. I just got finished with wiring the intire 1953 Champion, so if it is the same it should not take long at all. I will let you guys know how it went this evening.

I see lots of cool cars listed under your names including some cool 1953 coups! Glad to be abord!
                    Don

Comment

Somebody's gonna say it, may as well be me:

Got any pics??

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

I agree with all that's been said here. If you get the OD working, you'll love it! My Daytona has an auto trans, but the truck has a 3 sp. OD in it. I for one absolutely love the setup.

quote:16 years old, WOW! People find it strange that I'm driving Studebakers at the age of 24 and not some muscle or sports car. You must realy get a reaction from people.
                        Yes, a kid my age driving an orange 59 Studebaker really does make people turn their heads. I drive it to school everyday and everyone loves it.
                        Now I REALLY turned heads when I drove the '51 Stude 1.5 ton dump truck to school that I had. I traded it to my grandad for the orange pickup.

BTW, if you'd like, you can email me all the pics and I can post them/resize them if needed too.

Comment

I'm not great with this pics stuff and can't seem to post them! I will try to e-mail them.

Comment

Good luck! That works great for me. I'm uploading fresh pics of my '59 now!

Comment

If you have it on photobucket, you will see derectly under the pic where it has the URL of the pic. Copy it and post it here, between image brackets.

The image brackets can be found right above where you type your post.
                              Or, just post the URL and I can put the image up. Whatever you prefer.

Comment

Working...
                              X