What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
    I just broke an easy out, or extractor, off in the block. I'm not one who usually has this happen and have had it happen only once before, 20 years ago. That was in an intake manifold. This one is in the small gallery plug at the back of the block on the passenger side. The question is how shall I get it out? There is no way to grab it. Can it be ground down level with the block and drilled out with a special drill? Last time it was blown out with a quick shot form an oxy/acetylene torch. I'm not going to do that with this block. Any ideas?

Len.
    Sounds like it is above the block a little so MIG a nut to it and try to back it out.

Bob

Comment

Len, Bring it over to my place and I will remove it for you.

Comment

Thanks Alan, I will look it it again tonight and survey the situation. It happened, I packed up my tools and walked away, did something else for a couple of hours. With a clear head I will try a few ideas that will not damage anything. If I feel its beyond me I will let you know. Thanks.
        Last edited by ; 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          Len, Bring it over to my place and I will remove it for you.
          Now that is a very generous offer...and, stated with confidence.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have spare blocks - they will go for scrap soon, come get one (or two)

Comment

Thanks Pat, but I have few that I will be giving away myself. Although if you have a serviceable full flow block I might have to just incase. All my others are partial flow. I'll let you know. When do they need to be gone?

Comment

Number on one block is V494902

The other one is partial flow for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by pdrnec View Post
                  Number on one block is V494902

The other one is partial flow for sure.
                  Looks like that would be a '60 Lark 259.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had success with the EZ-out. I tried welding it to a nut but because of it's location in regards to the plug both were being welded and so the nut would shear off. After consulting with a few mechanics at work I taped on it with a center punch, trying to loosen it up a bit, when it actually moved inward. After a few more taps it went all the way through to the gallery. Now I still need to remove the plug but that is an easier prospect than the original dilemma. Beats me as to why it broke in the first place if it was so easy to tap through.

To all who helped with ideas and offers of help, thanks a lot. It was the encouragement I needed to continue. What a great group of people to be associated with.

Len.

Comment

Working...
                    X