Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

4 pole GM- style starter mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Bob, THAT sounds like good advice![:0][]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    Fabricate a new ground cable and bolt it directly to your starter motor, fastening bolts. You'll get a surprise..

Leave a comment:

• tbredehoft
    replied
    Another consideration, my '53 six volt was very slow cranking. New bushings did the trick, they were worn so badly the armature was dragging on the field coils.

Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Gary, If you look at a 2 pole then a 4 pole case the 4 pole has the pole end piece further away towards the end of the case and a spacer between that and relay housing. Plus the poles are of different sizes and the countersunk screws that hold the pole pieces are an oddball size and countersink angle and thread one is fine thread and the other is corse but it has been so long I forgot which is which.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    I have done the GM four field conversion, but probably not in 25 years. It works well, but it is now too hard to get the necessary GM parts. In case you want to try - Take a six volt starter from a straight eight, early '50s, GM car. Use the GM case with four field coils and the rest of your existing Studebaker starter. Most do not require any cutting or fitting. Some require drilling a new locating pin hole. This wil give you a night and day difference in starting.

Some people make a conversion by adding two additional field coils to a Studebaker starter. This probably works. I have just never done it myself.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY
    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Back in the 50's and 60's we used to take 48-52 or 53 Cad ambulance starters with the 4 poles and put the Stude nose on them. There were a number of other Delco starters HD that could be used but the Cad was the closest to Stude as to how far the Bendix gear moved. But there is a difference between the auto and stick. But some were Prestolite so don't try to mix and match. And that is BS about replacing the fields. Usualy the wire between the field poles breaks from heat or vibration. A little far away from me, but someone might be able to help.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Commander51 writes: "Any other suggestions for getting my starter starting?"

Yeah, save the starter revision money and buy new, big, FAT cables for the battery, the ground-to-engine strap and the solenoid-to-starter connection.
    Clean up the attacment points where ever the ends of these cables go and drive on!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Dave T-Bow can build you one using a 50's Pontiac housings as I recall.

Studebaker On The Net
    http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
    Arnold Md.
    65 Sports Sedan(sold)
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    63 Daytona HT
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT(parts car)
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    52 Starliner(sold)
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• Commander51
    started a topic 4 pole GM- style starter mod

4 pole GM- style starter mod

While searching through old threads looking for inspiration about what to do with my near-death 6-volt starter, I ran across a passing reference to a modification for these units described as "4 pole GM"...

What's is this? Is this a process which a good auto electric shop can do? I am told that my starter has bad fields, which are not replaceable
    so a rebuild won't do the job in my case. Is this true? A few of the parts houses I normally do business with don't seem to have any rebuilts...

Any other suggestions for getting my starter starting? I don't want to convert to 12 volts unless absolutely necessary, since I would need to round up/install a new ring gear in my DG200, mess with gauges, radio, etc.....although that may be easier in the long run...

51 Commander State Sedan
    Worthington PA
Working...
X