Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Suggestion for leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Suggestion for leak?

Ever since installing a new heater core I have not been able to stop a tiny leak.

There is a hose that joins the heater control valve to the actual heater tube.........maybe six inches long.

Well no matter how tight I turn the hose clamp a small amount of anti-freeze weeps out of one of the hose ends........in the heat of the summer no problem, no leak..........but as soon as the temps get cold the hose end weeps..........I understand that cold causes metal to shrink.......but this is crazy.....do I have to pull off the hose and coat the ends with Indian Head Gasket Compound???

Coating the nipple with permatex or something similar might help the situation. When you remove the hose inspect the nipple to make sure it is still round and not crushed. Make sure the heater contol valve itself is not seeping onto the hose making it look like the hose connection is leaking.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

One thing I do know is that the valve is not leaking onto the hose...the leak is actually coming out from inside the hose...I should have used the Permatex but remember how hard hoses are to remove later.....oh well one more thing to do........with Studes it truly never ends.........and candidly if it did, would we all be as happy with no repairs to make?
      Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
      Coating the nipple with permatex or something similar might help the situation. When you remove the hose inspect the nipple to make sure it is still round and not crushed. Make sure the heater contol valve itself is not seeping onto the hose making it look like the hose connection is leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
        Ever since installing a new heater core I have not been able to stop a tiny leak.

There is a hose that joins the heater control valve to the actual heater tube.........maybe six inches long.

Well no matter how tight I turn the hose clamp a small amount of anti-freeze weeps out of one of the hose ends........in the heat of the summer no problem, no leak..........but as soon as the temps get cold the hose end weeps..........I understand that cold causes metal to shrink.......but this is crazy.....do I have to pull off the hose and coat the ends with Indian Head Gasket Compound???
        Put a second clamp on the hose with the screw mechanism clocked as far from the first clamp as you can get. I've had this problem occasionally on hard to remove hoses and it has generally stopped the leak.

Good luck, Bob

Comment

I must sing the praises of the Indian Head compound. The neat thing about this stuff is that when you start running hot water through the valve, the Indian Head warms up and flows just a tiny bit - enough to re-seal and close any gaps or pinholes there might be between the sealing surfaces. Yes, it's sticky, runny out of the bottle and a general pain, but it works. And, unlike the Permatex, the application of a little heat will let you remove the hose intact should you need to.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

some times fine ground black pepper does miracles in a rad. that has a small leak Mac.

Comment

The rad is not leaking.
              Originally posted by GEEMAC View Post
              some times fine ground black pepper does miracles in a rad. that has a small leak Mac.

Comment

Working...
              X