dash pad removeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: dash pad removeal

I have a 1956 studebaker golden hawk.I would like to replace the dash pad,can anyone help on how to remove the pad.I would like to do it without damaging the dash.

Remove the rear view mirror and windshield garnish mouldings. Remove the narrow stainless trim strip that spans the width of the dash that covers the end of the vinyl. This piece is held on with T headed bolts that slide in the rear side of this trim strip and secureing the strip to the dash from the back sides with little 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch nuts. I forget. Hold against front side of strip where the attaching points are and remove nuts from back side of dash. No more than ten or less. This piece will about fall off. Scrape between vinyl-glue and dash not to aggressively so as not to hurt the fiberglass. Save old vinyl for a pattern but make it about an inch wider in perimeter so you can grab on the perimeter to stretch it tightly in place. Use scotch spray contact cement or something the like on back side of vinyl and dash surface, Mask off the area where you dont want the glue. Better yet mask the area before removeing the old pad. Trim with a razorknife next to windshield before installing the garnish mouldings. Last thing to do is put the stainless trim bead in place and then carefully cut the xcessive vinyl away from it. cheers jimmijim
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 02-14-2012, 06:40 PM.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

High Five and "Welcome" Al Bonchi

Funny thing and small world it is. I awalys go back and review a thread on a post that I participated in. Sometimes to find out if there is anything I can learn and also to see if my info was helpful. On this one there was no responce by the askee. It is gratyfing to get a response back knowing that a person was helped by my half hour worth of typing. No biggie. Someone may have read it and did take advantage. No response on this one yet so I look and see who the askee is. I'll be darned. The askee's first ever post, The askee is remarkably close to my home town {5 1/2 years ago} Weirton Wv. He is from Alliquippa Pa. just 27 miles away, I have seen his Golden Hawk. I have spoken with this man at car shows in the Beaver county area of Pa. Very close to Pittsburgh. From his forum Id. I can decipher his name is The Al Bonchi I somewhat am familiar with. He is the original owner of a beautiful survivor 56 J {yellow and white} Al is very knowlegedable on making drum brakes function 110% If that is possible but you probably get my gist. Could we welcome even though he is not a youngster or trying to find out the worth of A Studebaker that he just fell into ownership with. Come on folks. cheers Jimmijim Jim KranakQUOTE=abonchi1;620735]I have a 1956 studebaker golden hawk.I would like to replace the dash pad,can anyone help on how to remove the pad.I would like to do it without damaging the dash.[/QUOTE]
      Last edited by jimmijim8; 02-18-2012, 06:35 AM.
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Did all '56 Goldens have the padded dash feature? I owned a '56 Skyhawk years ago, the upper dash wasn't padded, but painted semi-gloss black (factory). Later saw another '56 Skyhawk that did have the padding. How about the
        Stickshift, dualquad '56 Golden that's been for sale on e-bay many times, (Inc. right now), how about that dashboard/ steering wheel color?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Did all '56 Goldens have the padded dash feature? I owned a '56 Skyhawk years ago, the upper dash wasn't padded, but painted semi-gloss black (factory). Later saw another '56 Skyhawk that did have the padding. How about the
          Stickshift, dualquad '56 Golden that's been for sale on e-bay many times, (Inc. right now), how about that dashboard/ steering wheel color?
          I believe all 56 Hawks were semi gloss black. White steering columns, and wheel. BUT, I have have read somewhere that the Doeskin/Mocha cars, had the mauve dash color......can't say for sure.
          All Golden Hawks had the upper dash pads.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My 56 Power Hawk was factory optioned with the Deluxe steering wheel {as in Deluxe Tour} in white with the large horn bar. Black auto shift column. Shifter and trn signal lever painted black. Black knobs. I ain't Lion. cheers jimmijim
            Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            I believe all 56 Hawks were semi gloss black. White steering columns, and wheel. BUT, I have have read somewhere that the Doeskin/Mocha cars, had the mauve dash color......can't say for sure.
            All Golden Hawks had the upper dash pads.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
              My 56 Power Hawk was factory optioned with the Deluxe steering wheel {as in Deluxe Tour} in white with the large horn bar. Black auto shift column. Shifter and trn signal lever painted black. Black knobs. I ain't Lion. cheers jimmijim
              You're right, I should have said the white column and wheel were Golden Hawk items.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

To: bezhawk,------- Double check Me on this, but I believe the 1956 HOT ROD magazine road test car, a loaded '56 Golden Hawk, did not have a padded dashboard!! (black column also)

Comment

Hi Al, welcome to the Stude Forum-------------jimmijim

Ask any questions about Studes here and you will in all probability get a correct answer or many opinions cause everybody's got one here. Everybody here also has an arsehole. Some here are arseholes within themselves. Myself, I consider myself to be a straight shooter, with a mix of smart-assism with possibly just a hint of sarcasm. Sarcasm ain't allowed here so I have to be careful what I say. I have met you and spoken to you on a couple different occasions, one being a Washington County Pa. car show near Hickory Pa., and at the Hot August Nights Car Show in Beaver Pa. around 2004-05. Welcome and please feel obligated to post if you are knowledgeable of answers to questions posed by others. cheers jimmijimQUOTE=abonchi1;620735]I have a 1956 studebaker golden hawk.I would like to replace the dash pad,can anyone help on how to remove the pad.I would like to do it without damaging the dash.[/QUOTE]
                  Last edited by jimmijim8; 02-19-2012, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Hi Jimmijim8
                    You met my dad.He's 93 and still going strong.He doesn't drive the Hawk anymore.I actually bought the Hawk in 1962.In 1965 i bought a new mustang,gave the Hawk to my dad.He put
                    it in storage till the mid 80's when he restored it.I have it back now,and i am up dating it.The exterior is still very nice.i have gone over all hoses ,belts,brakes,plugs wires,pertronix ignition.
                    I am finishing new seals in the transmission.As soon as i am done with this i will start on the dash pad and new windlace.Thanks for the help on the dash.I still drive the car to local cruises,
                    and it still gets alot of attention.I also own a pro street 1979 Mercury Capri.I dated my wife in the hawk,so it's still special to use.

Thanks again Al Bonchi Jr.

Comment

Jr, stick around here for tips and techniques if you need them or not. Visit Frank Ambrogio's 56 J Golden Hawk website. You need to go there. Big Support group between this and that site. Sorry bout the misinformation bout the car and you folks. I do remember him telling that you guys found that the engine was completely assembled without crank bearings somewhat. cheers jimmijim
                      Last edited by jimmijim8; 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X