Wiper Motor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiper Motor Question

Hello Everyone. I hope you all are having a wonderful new year. I'm in the process of converting my 55 Commander to 12 volts. My question is: Will a windshield wiper motor from 56-62 drop right in to make the wiper work correctly? if not, what options do I have? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can just use a voltage reducer and use the 6 volt motor. I'm not sure but I think most of the 12 volt motors had 4 wires while the 55 6 volt had three. So you would (I assume) have to also change the switch. I just cleaned up my 55 6 volt motor and it works fine so I am going to continue to use it. I think you can get a voltage reducer for less than $20. If you need help getting the switch wired up correctly let me know. I took pictures when I got mine figured out.

Comment

I really appreciate all the help I can get. A voltage reducer it is. Thank you

Comment

As a follow up to 5brown 1: I just fitted a 12V wiper motor to a '55 Speedster. It was a three wire, (like the '55 6V). Yellow, green, and black I think, and it fit perfectly with a connector change. Came off a '59 Hawk.

Comment

To ease up some of the confusion:

You can go with either a six or twelve volt motor, as it's just a motor, and not lamps or instruments. Without the reducer, the six volt motor will just spin a little faster.

The motors should able to be swapped out of the bracket on the car, and it should drop into place. There might be a little hogging out of the center hole, but it will install without a problem.

Electrically speaking, if you can figure out the wiring diagram of the switch, and where everything plugs in on the 4 prong plug, you should be able to use the original switch.

The one I had on the '55 was a six volt motor that had long since corroded and seized, and the switch on the dashboard had also long since bit the dust. I was going to 12 volts anyway, so I just went ahead and switched everything over to 12 volts for convenience, except the starter motor. I was also relocating the switches to another part of the car, and I had some unused bulk chrome switches I had got at a model train show for free, so I used those instead just for their style.
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I used a 62 Lark 12V motor for my 55 Speedster, had a three wire connector and bolted right on.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
            55 Speedster (in work)
            63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
            64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
            64 Avanti R2 (completed)
            85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
            89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

I got a prestolite 6V wiper motor for a '50 2R to replace the the old vacume motor. I tried it on 12V and the high speed was way too fast. The low speed was about right for "high". I'm thinking a voltage reducer is going to be needed.

Brian

Comment

Working...
              X