Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Modified C/K wiper assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Modified C/K wiper assembly

Since I mentioned it in another thread. I thought I would give a brief explanation on the wipers on the '55. I rigged this up sometime last year after I got a little too rough with one of the arms and subsequently broke. Since I was completely out of arms, I went out back to the other parts car we had, and borrowed those. The whole system has been converted to 12V, and the wiper motor was replaced twice; once by a wiper motor from a '56 pickup, and again by a wiper assembly from the South Bend May meet. The first motor hogged out the stock vinyl gear, and could not be repaired, so that called for another motor. I'm not using the original gauge switches either, they have been moved from the dash to the tranmission hump on the floor, and the rotary switch has been switched for a pair of aftermarket on-off type of toggle switches instead .
    Anyway, the wiper arms are from a '55 Champion 4dr sedan. The motor went in easy, but it took some oiling and tweaking before the wipers would work, since the assembly had been sitting out in the elements for the last 30 years, unused. The wiper arms are universal in this instance, but the length of the wiper arms are not. These arms are longer than the C/K's, but there's no keyways on the splines on the pivots, so all I had to do was clock one of the arms a little higher than the other so they wouldn't kiss each other when they met in the middle. This is the end result. It may look like something George Barris might come up with, but it works, and it gives me a larger sweep .
    Oh, and don't mind the green grass and the sound of songbirds either........

(Click the photo to run the movie)

My wiper switches are the first two chrome toggle switches on the aluminum panel for the low and high, under the regular C/K knob toggle switches. This was earlier last year.....

Before I stopped for the winter......
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

That interior shot reminds Me of the Delorean in the movie "Back To The Future" !!!

Comment

Hehehehe, then my job is done!!

I have a separate port injection thread in this forum, so much of this information is over there. However, to show the full interior before it got cold, this is what it looked like when I stopped:

(Click for the movie)

There is an exception in that the instrumentation is back in the instrument console, so it now looks like this:

.....and at night it looks like that:
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
      X