Saginaw power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Saginaw power steering

Hello, today I decided it was time to join the Stude Club as I own two Studebakers: a 1962 Grantorismo Hawk and a 1964 3/4 ton Champ pick up. Here's hoping you can tell me how the original equipment power steering pump is supposed to mount on the 289 V-8. Thirty years ago I bought the car, but twenty years ago I had to pull out the motor when it seized due to improper rebuild by previous owner. Having run out of time, the engine stayed torn down until just a week ago. It's all back together with everything done, but I cannot sort out how to arrange the mounting brackets for the pump to mount in the right position. Can you direct me to assembly photos or instruct me? My shop manual is not very helpful. Thanks.

Ken J

Sometimes the factory parts manual illustrates placement of various items better than the pictures in the shop manual. I believe You have the Bendix linkage-type system on Your '62. It is a bit complicated
    but works nice when everything is set up right. Is there still an airport at Orange, Mass?

Comment

There will be two mounting studs for the pump, and an "L" bracket off of the forward exhaust manifold bolt.
      The stud with the smaller hex, bolts to the top upper right water manifold hole, and the one with the 5/8" hex bolts to the upper hole of the bottom branch of the water manifold. The pump bracket slips over the studs, and fine threaded nuts secure.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I should look at an old Newman & Altman catalog, right? Yes we have a very active airport in Orange with a full industrial park next to it. There is also an airplane engine rebuilding company on site.

Ken J

Comment

Thanks. Very helpful. Lesson learned: don't leave a box of parts, bolts & nuts and a stripped engine block hanging around for twenty years. The memory is not that good after time goes on.

Ken J

Comment

By the way, the current wisdom is to use Auto-Trans fluid in your power steering pump.

Comment

Working...
            X