Coil Spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Coil Spring question

I have two used coil springs with these numbers spamped on them. 1541869 (star) KL
    Does anyone know what year Stude or they may not be Stude but the guy said they were.
    PS I am new at this. This is my first crack at this forum thing.
    Thanks
    Butch Figurella

Butch, welcome to the Forum! We're glad to have you here.

1541869 is the standard-duty coil for 1958 Commanders, Presidents and Packard sedans, as well as all 1958 Golden and Silver Hawks, and 1959 Lark VIII cars.

They may fit other models too, but those are the references my materials call out.

Again, welcome!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks , That helps. This forum does work!
      Butch

Comment

I put the above springs in my 53 stude power coupe and it sits to high. I have another pair with with 1561664 does anyone know what they are for?
        Does anyone have a number for coil springs that will work on a 53 Stude powered coupe

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Butch.
          Here is some aftermarket Front Springs info from previous posts found with the Search Function here.

Your 1561664 Springs are fairly H.D. used as STD spring on these Cars which are heavier than your's:

'64 Eight Cyl. Lark Type 4 Dr. Sedans, and Hardtops with A/C

'64 Convertibles without A/C

'64 Wagonaires without A/C

'64 GT Hawk with A/C

Have you installed the heavy items yet?
          The Radiator, Coolant, Battery in correct location, Generator/Alternator, Front Bumper, Hood, all Manifolds, Glass, Seats etc. need to be in.

After that, you have to drive the Car and and make several hard and medium Stops and allow them to settle.

If the end of the bottom coils are facing the correct forward and inboard direction and you did not use the 1/2 inch A/C spacers, and your upper and lower control arm bushing bolts have been torqued AFTER the weight has settled from stopping, the Car will sit level or only slightly above level with the 1541869 Springs and good rear springs.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich
            Thanks for your comments. Let me give you some history.I got this 53 rust bucket from Ohio in 1997. I did a frame off restoration. I throw away the orig. springs ( dummy) The only springs I could get were HD coils from SI. They were so strong it was always hitting the stops After all the weight was added it still hit the stops. I cut one coil and it was still to high. I cut another coil. It sat nice and low but it road hard as you can imagine. Over the years it started to sag in the front and was hard steering with a Ross box. I was looking at the Slick Street conversion. I had these 1541869 springs someone gave me so I thought I would give them a shot. I also put the battery in the truck. This helped the steering and it rides better. I measured the front fender height at the wheel when I started it was 25" It is now 27 1/2" . I would like it a little lower, maybe an inch more? I will drive it awile and see if things settle.

You asked about bottom coils facing in. I did no pay any attention to that. Will that make a difference?

Does anyone have a comment on the Slick Street front end conversion? It does not come with springs.
            PS
            I have a new pair of HD springs if any ones needs them.
            Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X