OverDrive Ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: OverDrive Ticking

Hey Gentlemen. When I have my Overdrive engaged and I hit around 30 or 40mph when I let off the gas I get an audible ticking noise that matches my driving speed for a few seconds. I'm sure it's the OD because there is no sound when I don't have it engaged. Any ideas what could cause that?

OD control cable adjustment OK?

Comment

What SN-60 said. The Overdrive may not be FULLY engaged. It is shifting to O.D. alright though, correct?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes it shifts in fine and I am freewheeling in every gear. I'll check the cable. I don't know much about the OD unit.

Comment

Is your mechanic missing his watch?. Usually a ball bearing with a broken cage will tick like that.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

If your car is freewheeling in every gear above 32 or so mph your overdrive is not working. The car should go into overdrive by letting of the gas at speeds above 32. As long as you stay above 32 in od there should be no freewheeling. If as you say it freewheels the cable part of the od system is working but there is an electrical problem of some sort.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks for the info. Frank I guess my OD has never worked then haha. I will definitely have someone look at it.

Comment

It will be helpful to whomever you take it to for repair to have the troubleshooting chart from the shop manual. In case they don't have an older shop manual, or do not have a mechanic familiar with the overdrives from 40+ years ago.
                Originally posted by CodyC View Post
                Thanks for the info. Frank I guess my OD has never worked then haha. I will definitely have someone look at it.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Although while in OD you are not freewheeling, technically, it can be deceiving because of the OD ratio, you do not get much engine braking at all and to many, including me, it seems like they are freewheeling
                  Last edited by tbirdtbird; 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM.
                  1947 M5 under restoration
                  a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

If you have freewheeling working, if you are under 30 mph or so, you can take your foot off the gas and the engine will drop to idle in gear with the clutch out. Think of what happens with a ten speed bike, compared to an old single gear chain bike. Same thing--if you speed up the engine it will 'catch' the same way a derailleur mechanism does, for forward motion only, not backwards or still. If you pull the overdrive handle out, it is locked out at all speeds, like that single speed bike. You have to have freewheeling operating when the OD handle is pushed all the way in, or you won't be getting the electric overdrive. Above 30 mph+, the freewheeling stops, and you get engine braking, even if the overdrive itself isn't engaging. Yes, it was designed as a system back in the days of Rube Goldberg, but they are remarkably tough and most faults are electrical contacts or cable adjustments and trouble shooting is easy if you follow all the steps in the chart.

Comment

Thanks for the visual jim. I now understand how it works. Ill look for info on troubleshooting them now.

Comment

Where would one drain, and then fill the OD?

Comment

Where? Into a Drain Pan, in your Garage or Driveway, you choose!<GG>.

The only visible plugs to remove on the BOTTOM, are the Main case DRAIN plug on the bottom of the front case and the DRAIN Plug on the bottom of the O.D. (Rear)Case.

Same deal with the FILL PLUGS, they are the only removable Plugs half way up the cases (front & rear) on the Passenger side.

Use NAPA GL1 EPI 80/90 or 90 Wt. Pure Mineral GEAR OIL. The commonly found GL-4 or GL-5 or in combination with other types is NOT recommended for Overdrives.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks rich!

Comment

Working...
                            X